building a racer

Excaliburs, New Yorks
andyroach

building a racer

Post by andyroach »

Hi all, this doesn't have anything to do with the customs, but I thought I would let you know that I have started a blog about me building a race bike from a Morini sport. The address is: motositaliana.wordpress.com
Hopefully I will see you there.
Cheers
Andy
72degrees

Re: building a racer

Post by 72degrees »

Erm. we get the message :wink:
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Do you fancy going cast wheel on the racer? I have some going spare ready with very little used pukka road race tyres on.
andyroach

Post by andyroach »

I am using the cast wheels that the bike came with, but have to use road tyres, which limits me to BT45's or Lazertec's, both of which I have used on the guzzi. I use lazertec's on my 850 guzzi and am very pleased with them, but they seem to go off pretty quickly so might try the BT's.
Anyone else got any suggestions?
Andy
andyroach

Post by andyroach »

By the way 72 degrees, I have been trying to look at your avatar and see what the bike is and what you have done to it, but can't get it to enlarge. Any ideas?
Looks like a race bike and if it was/is how does it go and what did you do to it?
Andy
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

It's a 'replica' of a bike I first prepared for speed hill climbs in 1981. This time I used cast wheels though.
77 Strada frame with a 350 motor bored out to 375 (I was never going to be competitive so nobody would mind). L5 cam, 28 mm carbs, WeeVee special valve springs and light alloy valve caps. Not sure of the provenance of the 2-1 - 'Ricky Racer' I think. NLM new style ignition 'transducer/coil unit'. Tank from a Puch Gran Prix 50 moped (the very same tank I used in 1981). Seat a glass fibre replica TZ350 unit. Tarozzi rearsets. Club race tyres. 520 chain conversion (Kanguro front and a custom *big* alloy rear sprocket to gear it right down for the hills).

I rode it for two years in the "Forgotten Era" NHCA speed hill climb championship. The best I could manage was within a second at Wiscombe Park of the times I used to do in 1981 (about 54 seconds when the hill solo record is 40.78 and the '350' 42.60. The Forgotten Era points go to the fastest eligible bike at the meeting regardless of capacity so you really have to have a 750 to get a look in.

Not competitive (the bike or me :wink: ) so I have put the motor back in the 2C road bike which it lived in from 82 until 2008. That bike will be out on the road again in the spring :D I now do the hills on a 'supermoto'd' 96 YZ250.

To be honest the only competitive 'Morini' I ever raced was a 250 frame, sporting 350 forks and rear wheel and most significantly a 250 Rotax disc valve MX motor from a 79 SWM. Went very well in the 250 singles class at short circuits in the late 80's. The shorter the better. At Three Sisters it got me a podium finish in an open 250 race against the TZs at one meeting.

Best of luck with your racer project.
andyroach

Post by andyroach »

Thanks for that insight. I can't see me winning any championships with the Morini, but having built a TR500 replica(I really don't want to think about the amount of money I threw at that and still never got to ride it) and then a Guzzi race bike (4.500GBP just in pieces) and then realising that I just can't afford to race a big bike. I thought sod it and at least the Morini will be cheap to race. At the end of the day there is a guy in the same class as me racing a 400 super dream(tell me he hasn't got a sense of humour), so I should be able to beat him(maybe).
Andy
andyroach

Post by andyroach »

Hey 72 degrees, I just found your bike on Youtube. Sounds really nice and crisp.
Cheers
Andy
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

andyroach wrote:Hey 72 degrees, I just found your bike on Youtube. Sounds really nice and crisp.
Cheers
Andy
Not bad for a first start up. Sounds even better now I have the carburation set up better. When I get the 2C/375 back on the road in the spring and through the MoT test I'm going to try the NLM ignition pickup. Should be even crisper then :D
John Bunting

Post by John Bunting »

72degrees wrote:
andyroach wrote:Hey 72 degrees, I just found your bike on Youtube. Sounds really nice and crisp.
Cheers
Andy
Not bad for a first start up. Sounds even better now I have the carburation set up better. When I get the 2C/375 back on the road in the spring and through the MoT test I'm going to try the NLM ignition pickup. Should be even crisper then :D
Hi Pete
I fitted on my 500 and can recommend the NLM (Denso) ignition pickup, easy to install and set, seem to work well.
John
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

I can't see me winning any championships with the Morini
Tush and fie and never say never etc., etc! The last time I looked, NZ's own John Carter (Team Strega) was doing very well with his highly-modified Sport http://www.nzcmrr.com/results/2010
Cheers,
DD
MRC 3082½
John Bunting

Post by John Bunting »

Daddy Dom wrote:
I can't see me winning any championships with the Morini
Tush and fie and never say never etc., etc! The last time I looked, NZ's own John Carter (Team Strega) was doing very well with his highly-modified Sport http://www.nzcmrr.com/results/2010
Cheers,
DD
Hi Dom
Do you know anything more about John Carter's bike or have any photo's? I googled but only came up with results, there seem to be plenty so he must be doing something right!
This should not really be in the customs section.
Team strega also seam to be involved in racing ex WW2 P51 Mustangs,
Regards
John
andyroach

Post by andyroach »

correct me if I'm mistaken. but isnt john carter the only person racing in post classic? If so he could come at the back of the field and still get the race winning points as there is no-one else in his class. Or is it a different points system?
Andy
kangurada

Post by kangurada »

This post caught my eye and of course it seems that John Carter was sometimes the only rider in the class. On the other hand, compare his actual times with other machinery - e.g. very impressive here http://www.marktime.co.nz/rfiles/110417/BEST.PDF