Kokusan question

Excaliburs, New Yorks
hombre

Kokusan question

Post by hombre »

Hi all,

I finally have my 501-scramblerproject up and running on two cylinders, but still have this problem that once in a while it kicks back really hard.
In particular if it doesn't fire up right away. It seems that the combustionchamber is filled with petrol and the loose spark fires it up and the kickstarter has a go at my foot and ankle.
Is there something that can be done about this, is this a mixture problem? Is this typical for Kokusan ignitions? There are very few around here so hope someone knows more about this.
Btw, I was wondering if I accidentally switched the bobins, but if I do that it only kicks back and it won't run at all.

tia,
Hans
EVguru

Re: Kokusan question

Post by EVguru »

hombre wrote:I finally have my 501-scramblerproject up and running on two cylinders, but still have this problem that once in a while it kicks back really hard.
In particular if it doesn't fire up right away. It seems that the combustionchamber is filled with petrol and the loose spark fires it up and the kickstarter has a go at my foot and ankle.
Is there something that can be done about this, is this a mixture problem? Is this typical for Kokusan ignitions? There are very few around here so hope someone knows more about this.
Btw, I was wondering if I accidentally switched the bobins, but if I do that it only kicks back and it won't run at all.
The Kokusan ignition is crankshaft triggered and therefore wasted spark, so each cylinder also fires it's plug on the exhaust stroke. I don't think that's really the problem though. The CDI ignition fires AFTER TDC at kickstart speeds, whilst the inductive Kokusan doesn't have anything like the same range of total advance. It's really optimised for electric start.

You could try retarding the ignition a few degrees and certainly getting the mixture set right for easy starting will help.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
hombre

Re: Kokusan question

Post by hombre »

Hi Paul, thanks for your reply. I'll give it a go somewhere this week.