Won't turn off

Excaliburs, New Yorks
Zed1

Won't turn off

Post by Zed1 »

Hi got a strange problem with my 350 excalibur , it won't turn off ! I have to stop it with the kill switch . Took the ignition switch off to check it and ,with it off for a test kicked her over and off she went?!?! Is this possibly right and the switch just shorts out to stop or am I going mad , thanks
72degrees

Re: Won't turn off

Post by 72degrees »

Zed1 wrote:Hi got a strange problem with my 350 excalibur , it won't turn off ! I have to stop it with the kill switch . Took the ignition switch off to check it and ,with it off for a test kicked her over and off she went?!?! Is this possibly right and the switch just shorts out to stop or am I going mad , thanks
The switch does indeed just short out to stop on most Morinis - though I've never had an Excalibur. You will need to trace the wiring from the correct terminal on the switch (no idea as I only have 250s with 4 pole switches) is running to an earth point properly.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Does it have Kokusan ignition? If not, then check the ignition switch is earthing the magneto when off.
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

There are two main types of ignition and wiring on Excaliburs, the older version is easy to identify externally as the starter motor is in the right-hand engine casing, hidden from view. This one, as 72degrees says, probably uses the ignition switch to short the output of the ignition coil to earth (I've not worked on one so not 100% sure). If something goes wrong with earthing in the switch or in the wiring to/from the switch then you'll have the problem you describe.

The later models were fitted with different electronics and a different starter motor design. Both the left and right engine casings were changed to suit. The starter motor is in front of the engine and visible, it goes into the left hand casing. It has Kokusan ignition system where the ignition is powered by the battery (and 12 volts DC if available from other sources e.g. when the bike is running and generating power). Most likely the ignition switch connects the 12v to the CDI unit, so if there's a short in the switch or the relevant 2 wires are connected somehow with a loose wire, etc. then they'd allow the engine to continue running. (Again I don't have recent memory of working on this wiring type although I do have a Kokusan-ignition in my 501 K1 sport, mine has an odd hybrid wiring loom which I've yet to redo.)

Good luck with your fault finding and please let us know how you're getting on.

Julian
Zed1

Post by Zed1 »

Thanks for the help , it's the older type with the left side started , had a look at it today after work and sure enough found a dodgy earth , repaired and switch working fine , tested lights , indicators , horn all ok . Put everything back together turned her on fired up fine and turned off ok , then started up again to test the rest and nothing :shock: so guess tomorrow will be more playing in the garage
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Good news, glad my one liner was easy to follow!!!