Laying up a bike in winter - any hints and tips?

Anything to do with motorcyles
mhsilverw

Laying up a bike in winter - any hints and tips?

Post by mhsilverw »

Hi,
Apart from using ones bike over the winter period (well until it gets too icy and snowy-in UK) what hints and tips are there for 'laying' up a bike for winter?

It seems I may spend some time cleaning (trying to) the alloy parts on the Strada in the garage (shame not heated), as I just know I couldnt put it in the conservatory or house, although I know others do can manage this :shock: ; is this something u can do when 'single' :?: ...albeit my friend seems to have a very understanding partner....

...he is looking to buy a Rocket Gold Star (BSA), & apart from the fact his partner would like a new Aga and Kitchen; she did remind him with the Blackbird (large Honda, so not a Beatles song or feathered friend) and the 2 Royal Enfield(s) - Continental and GT in the conservatory (already) things were a bit squashed as it is before even thinking about chistmas, without space for another bike - the RGS! (how has he managed this...so far :?: )

Anyway what do / have you done / recommend to lay up a bike and have it work or prep it for the spring?

Assume this would apply to any bike - be it classic older v-twin/single Morini or one of the modern twins too...

Regards

Mark
72degrees

Re: Laying up a bike in winter - any hints and tips?

Post by 72degrees »

I must admit that I don't bother doing much. I prefer to start mine up and run them long enough to warm them through reasonably once a month before turning off the fuel and letting it run dry. Not possible on modern fuel injection stuff, but the Shiver seemed to survive OK last winter using this tactic.

Otherwise, perhaps drain any fuel left in the carbs, take the weight off both tyres if possible. Get a battery tender and use it occasionally, but don't leave it permanently attached. If it's good and clean when put away and the garage isn't too damp then a dust sheet over iy will suffice, though a good squirt of GT85 or similar on exposed cables, lever pivots and other articulating bits is not a bad idea. A quick wipe over alloy shiny bits with the proverbial 'oily rag' is not a bad idea. Some plaster things with ant-rust gloop. A good idea if you have to leave it outside wrapped up in a bike cover, but OTT if not in my opinion.

A freezing cold, dry, well ventilated space is better than a warmer, un-ventilated, humid one. Bike are cold blooded animals, especially ones with air-cooled engines.

Even if i don't actually start mine I turn the motor over occasionally with fuel and ignition off. Stops the belt taking a set. Easy with a kick start Morini. I used to do it on the Nordwest on the starter with the kill-switch off - another reason for keeping the battery charged.