Something cute and Spanish on the side or "The Secrets Out"

Anything to do with motorcyles
Chips1953

Something cute and Spanish on the side or "The Secrets Out"

Post by Chips1953 »

I was asked by Jim a local farmer and petrol head to rebuild his
scooter, a Vespa Super 125 (small frame) 1965 Azzuro Pastello.
So now I've got the Camel I need to finish this and move on to my new Italian bit of fluff.
The bike was given to me with a separate engine with the swing arm snapped, the body hand painted white with household gloss.
I started the engine in the bike. no problem and then stripped the body. It's quite a little ingenious thing. What appears to have saved it is the household paint as I only had to weld the rear of the running boards, so as I'm not the best at this I brazed them instead, took some cleaning.
I then stripped the body of all the paint with 2 litres of Nitromors and a lot of rubbing.
Getting the original colour paint was a long job, to be honest I don't think I achieved this and although it's an original Vespa colour I thinks it's too blue. Should be slightly greener.
Will post pics tonight. I know it's only a little scooter, but hey, it has 2 wheels and just love those white walls.
Still raining! :x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/68202239@N ... 330442380/
Last edited by Chips1953 on 28 Jun 2012 17:55, edited 1 time in total.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Re: Something cute and Spanish on the side or "The Secrets O

Post by Chips1953 »

I've used the paint from RS in Rattle cans, it's too thin to do a proper job.
I invested in a cheap gravity fed spray gun from one of the stalls on an auto jumble. It helps a great deal when you can mix the paint yourself.
I only have a small compressor, which is not big enough to spray large items, like cars, but that's not usually what bike people do.
Painting is one of those skills that require a lot of patience, because there is always a gotcha', more often than not the previous layer of paint. Time spent on prep is the only way to succeed, I know because I've spent hours re-spraying stuff that I was too quick to with. But there is a great satisfaction in making the job look good. Even if it's pastel blue.

Anyway back to the story on the Vespa.
Jim, the owner of the Vespa, was an avid fan of a certain WSBK champ from 'up North', so much so that he had a tattoo done of his hero on his back complete with bike, (Ducati, if you didn't know). Well the outline was done, and the bike coloured in, but the torso of the No.1 man has yet to be finished. So much pain is only endured by the most faithful of fans.
The bet is on that whoever rides the scoot first when it's finished, will have to do so in The Bridge Inn car park, wearing Hot Pants. Any takers? Pale Blue of course.

I have to finish this job by the end of next month so that I can get some work done on the Camel, to enjoy the up coming Indian Summer we are going to have.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Well out with the old and in with the new.
The little Vespa smallframe is now finished and awaiting collection its rightful owner.
I had some fun with this little bike. The most rewarding part was stripping the old house paint off and getting the body into shape and spraying it with its new colour, such a difference as you can imagine.
Any way its going now so I can get on with the Camel.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/68202239@N08/
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Bloody hell, George. How did you manage the rebuild with so little room? :D

Hope you had a good Christmas and Happy New Year! Started stripping the Kanguro - engine out next....

Mike.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

I'll send a piccy of my garage.
The garage I rent from a friend for projects.
I got some new tyres for the Vespa.
Let me know if there are got'cha's with removing the engine, it's my next task.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

George,

Loads - the bike hasn't been touched for 20 years -

1. Exhaust - the exhaust nuts wont undo, the exhaust is rusty so I cut it off, the mild steel exhaust has 'welded' itself to the stainless silencers.

2. Neutral wire - don't forget it.

3. Gear change crossover shaft - remove.

4. The rear engine mounting bolts - if you have the same frame as me then you need a large 13mm ring spanner as I can't get a socket into the lower one.

5. Remove swinging arm - makes everything so much easier to get at.

Apart from that just remove everything, including the carbs. and ignition leads. I have stripped mine so the engine is the last thing out. Just need to decide whether I will send the frame away for painting or touch it up myself. i prefer the 'original' look and if I start with the frame what is next? A complete concours restoration....

Will wriggle it out tomorrow morning. The 3.5 is smaller so maybe less hassle?

Mike.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

So it's not just a walk in the park.
Does the wiring remove intact?
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

The wiring is in exceptional condition for it's age. There is only one broken wire but that was broken anyway. It comes away as a complete loom front to back with odd wires here and there.

Do not forget to disconnect not only the wires from the alternator / ignition but also the pickup wires on the other side. Make a note of where each wire goes as it is a typical Italian birds nest. The pickup wires are marked - one has a band on it so it can go back on the correct pickup.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Thanks.
I'll do as you suggest. Do you have a problem with the motor?
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

No problems except a lot of oil on the outside. When it broke down I decided to strip the whole bike so I could get to know it properly and check it over. I will do the service on the bench - can belt, rockers, spark plugs, oil filter, timing - er, that's it? Oh, and rewind the magneto coil. Just need to find a painter for the plastics and the tank. Still undecided on the frame.

I would love to find a 501 engine (later type) whilst the engine is out.... :).....
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

If you pay for the paint and shipping I'll spray them, are they damaged? Also if I remember they were white?
I got my decals from Ebay.it.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi George,

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it, but first I want to inspect the parts for damage. The tank has filler in it, for a start....

Here is my Kanguro - after 8 hours work!

http://s1193.beta.photobucket.com/user/ ... %20rebuild
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Almost finished then?
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965