Insurance

Anything to do with motorcyles
buell1203

Insurance

Post by buell1203 »

Further to my post concerning disparity in respect of insurance discounts I would like to draw attention to the following.

Footman James and others who provide classic policies at low rates can create problems should customers move on.

I have a notice indicating the number of years insured without claim. This is NOT accepted by other companies as proof of no claims as the document clearly states that they do not operate a no claim policy.

In effect I have no bonus to transfer yet there is evidence of the years without claim!! Bizarre but this is the stance insurers take.

I am finding that I have to start again at exorbitant rates or alternately many even refuse to quote as it is not accepted that I have been riding at all.

Beware of the trap as if you move on from Fj/cn et al you will suffer as I have.

It makes me want to sell all my bikes such is my frustration with the behaviour of the majority of insurers
buell1203

Re: Insurance

Post by buell1203 »

An update.

One insurer quoted online then when I tried to take up the offer,later increased the premium by £60 alleging that I had not informed of modifications. I had. Not only had I but I had kept screen prints of the application.

They then claimed the comparison site did not pass on this info and were determined that the policy would cost more.

I had by then already paid but cancelled as the policy was not due to commence for two days.i had to await for a refund which came 7 days later.

My complaint about the situation has been met by a cheque for £50 and the explanation that there was a computer problem which meant not all info was accessed.

BEWARE of the comparison sites. I have heard of this problem before. Is it genuine? Who knows? I am cynical about such matters as in reality few bother to challenge major institutions. If in doubt,always call the company to ensure the cover is as indicated.

I intend to report the matter but am accepting the cheque.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Yes, a minefield - heads they win, tails you lose.

Same thing happened to me with a car quote guaranteed and valid for 60 days which when I telephoned them wasn't! This from a motoring organisation insurance broker (not the alcoholics or the track clear ones). They also tried to stitch up my wife with her car renewal, so we walked, quite quickly. I have found Aviva to be good, they were Norwich Union, but do not use them for bike insurance, maybe I should try them for my 'modern' bike? They are not on price comparison webshites, apparently.

Also in my good books are Peter James and Carole Nash (although I hate them trying to sell me add-ons), as brokers they are obviously selling on products from the insurers, but the customer service is very good, in my opinion.

Just my opinions....

Mike.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

buell1203 wrote:Footman James and others who provide classic policies at low rates can create problems should customers move on.

I have a notice indicating the number of years insured without claim. This is NOT accepted by other companies as proof of no claims as the document clearly states that they do not operate a no claim policy.
The use of special 'flat rate' policies on which NCB is neither applied or earned has been around for at least 25 years.

I've had it at various times on kitcars, sportscars, and on my bikes. What the insurance companies class as 'second use' vehicles where your NCB may well already be on use on your 'main' vehicle.

It's only a problem if you go from one type of policy to the other.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
buell1203

Post by buell1203 »

1. Yes Paul that is exactly what I did. I needed business use on my policy hence needed to change companies as Fj do not provide it.
2. I have recd a cheque for £50 and an apology. They accept I had declared the full situation and allergen that their computer did not pick it up.
I will take the money to offset my costs as it took me some time to resolve the problem. I also intend to escalate the complaint as I do not believe their explanation. I think this is a regular ploy to increase premiums.

Watch this space.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I believe that FJ have written a lot of bad business recently and their discount with the underwriters has suffered as a result.

I dropped them for bikes a few years ago due to poor customer service. I stayed with them on the car until the renewal went from £300 to £750!
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
buell1203

Post by buell1203 »

I did not go to Fj. They were my insurers until April this year having been a customer since circa 1998. See my previous post re insurance discounts.

I think the real problem is not loss but the fact they were taken over by a large conglomerate.
mart1602

Post by mart1602 »

just insured my corsaro after being off the road for 2 years,have lost all my no claims because of not being continualy insured not through claiming,still cost me £147 fully comp!i love the comparason sites.