Everytime i ride my wife's SV650....

Anything to do with motorcyles
SoloFrenos

Everytime i ride my wife's SV650....

Post by SoloFrenos »

.... i cannot help but think what a missed opportunity that Morini did not build a serious 650 V twin sports bike rather than the bigger 1200's. The SV is a cracking little bike, only let down by cheap suspension and Japanese looks both of which could have been easily sorted. They could even have gone down the Aprilia route of buying SV engines and putting it in their own rolling chassis.

Only a thought, maybe i should build my own Morini 650????
Ralph

Re: Everytime i ride my wife's SV650....

Post by Ralph »

I owned and liked both here they are but still own the Morini,
though I did twice the mileage on the SV in 3 years than I have
done on the Morrini in twenty.

Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
morinipete

Post by morinipete »

Size yes, characteristics NO !

A few years ago a friend passed his test and asked me to recommend a suitable bike. I said an SV650, as that's what everyone was advising at the time. He gave me his budget and just told me to find a good one and buy it for him. I arrived in Banbury, at a sellers house, and he was mightily impressed by the sound of my Morini 500. "God that sounds powerful". I laughed and said it had about half the power of his 650 and would struggle to do a ton.

Anyway to cut a long story short, returning after the test ride the bike was fine, but I amended my reply. To agree with him. The SV was fast, but you had to ring it's neck and it was gutless below about 4,000 revs. My 500 would kill it up to 60 and be far more fun to ride at any speed. A week later I rode the bike down to London, to deliver it, and that ride only confirmed my initial thoughts. It was fine for motorway cruising and covering distance but remarkable fun free and had to be ridden much like a Jap 4. A personal view obviously, but how did Suzuki make a v-twin so unmemorable and gutless ?

I agree on the size/layout though. At the time of the Corsaro launch it was obvious the market needed another big V-twin like a hole in the head and the tiny sales have sadly only confirmed it. It doesn't matter that the bike is good, it's pitched against established bikes and players, with proper dealer networks, so what hope did it have ?

The irony is Lambertini said they 'had' to produce a bike like this, as there was little market now for smaller, 'niche' bikes. Had they produced a smaller bike they couldn't have failed to match the sales of the 1200, but then hindsight is a marvelous thing.

They should cut there loses and produce a 600-700 single, using the same top end as the 1200, focused on stomp not revs. I'd certainly be interested in something like that and I bet others would too, but little hope I think.........................
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

Don't discount the Aprilia 750 Shiver. Definitely not an SV or Rotax engine but an in house design 'L' twin. A shame Piaggio didn't badge it as a Gilera in my view.

If Morini built a 600 single that wasn't ridiculously high I would be interested in buying one.

I'm tempted by a Hyosung 'naked' 250 but was dissapointed that they are close but not exactly the one true V angle plus ridiculously high seat height.

Riding the 375/2C Morini two up around Norfolk B roads last week made me realise I now need something bigger than that, but smaller, lighter and lower than the Shiver (with electric start obviously). I suspect nobody manufactures such a machine other than some kind of mid range capacity custom cruiser which wouldn't suit me.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

KTM 390?
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

MickeyMoto wrote:KTM 390?
Weight OK, power reasonable, but the seat height might be an issue and the pillion perch ergonomics look a bit dodgy Not seen one yet but I might go and try sitting on one.