importing bike from Italy

Anything to do with motorcyles
adrian

importing bike from Italy

Post by adrian »

i just won an e-bay Morini....bike is in Italy and seller offers free shipping to UK....is there anything i need to ask him to provide either before or after i pay him, other than the obvious (his name address, bike frame number etc)...e.g. any Italian documents or export papers etc? Its a bit of a risk....still, its done...here's hoping....Adrian
ade
toggy

Re: importing bike from Italy

Post by toggy »

Was it Nicko who imported a new corsaro from the factory ,a bit different from your sale but might have some insights.good luck :D
nicko

Post by nicko »

Let's see if this works

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-i ... k/overview

and good luck, it may seem quite a faff, but persevere and you will get it done.
adrian

Post by adrian »

thanks Nicko thats very useful
ade
adrian

Post by adrian »

well, that went horribly wrong...the Italian sold me a bike with a bent frame....it took me a few days before i noticed it, but the headstock is angled, see http://s255.photobucket.com/user/ade55/ ... t=3&page=1
so the front wheel is canted over, so now i'm looking for an early frame! some chance, i guess....Adrian
ade
hendre

Post by hendre »

you probably can get it straightend, does not seem like a big job
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

As Hendre said, get it straightened! You keep the original numbers and it may even cost less than a replacement frame too. No idea where you are but there are plenty of firms to do this in the UK. In the midlands I have used 'Govnors' Bridge' motorcycles in Atherstone. That was a few years ago but if you google search for 'motoliner' or 'frame straightening' etc you should find plenty of leads.
They usually need the engine, swingarm and rear wheel to stay in place, this keeps the mountings in line. So don't just strip it bare till you've spoken to the people doing it!
By the by, but it's worth mentioning that a lot of bike restorers automatically send frames off for checking/aligning as a matter of course. A bike that is even a small amount off straight can feel strange so it's well worth it when restoring a bike previously unknown to you.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
adrian

Post by adrian »

thanks for that, have already made contact and yes they don't want the bike completely stripped, thanks Steve
ade
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

I am sure there are many websites or folk here who can help you with some choice Italian curses, promises of revenge etc. (Targetting their mother seems to work well.)
Good luck!
Dom
MRC 3082½