mid-bike crisis!

Anything to do with motorcyles
Pat

mid-bike crisis!

Post by Pat »

Been hunting for a strada 350/500 with an electric boot to go alongside my 350/500 sport which is kickstart only. I have rheumatoid so there are days when I just can't get the old leg up there...well not and kick as well. Was hoping to find a tidyish runner with mot etc, not a show winner or anything mint. Just a good honest bike, budget of £3500 and not in outer hebrides. Anyway after seeing some proper (and I mean dangerous) hounds. I have caved in and bought something new. It is italian and a v-twin so that's good. My first Guzzi (it has a warranty, what could possibly go wrong :| ) not sure if I have done the right thing...so thought I would share the the doubt around. I have a tuono too but it's really hard not to go mental on it, so my theory is it'll sit nicely between the two bikes I have. Please tell me I have done the right thing, and if you have any nightmare tales of your 850 le mans mark 1 (genuine mate) detonating on the M25 at north of a ton...please keep it to yourself. :roll:
Steve Brown

Re: mid-bike crisis!

Post by Steve Brown »

Nah, you'll love it. As long as your leg/body ratio is Moto Guzzi standard it'll be fine guvnor. Great bikes them!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Thanks steve, just what I wanted to hear, the cheque is in the post.do you offer counselling? :lol:
hendre

Post by hendre »

i have had several small block Guzzi's along my MM collection... very reliable and adorable machines (too)
Pat

Post by Pat »

Well that's practically unanimous then. Day two after handing over the card details and I haven't woken with the cold sweats screaming "WHAT THE F**K HAVE I DONE"?!. Thanks for the positive vibes. Picking guzzi up next friday, time will tell. I love my Tuono and my 3 1/2 sport, that gap in the middle is going to take some filling. Now I just need that one person who has exactly the same model, that has done 100,000 miles on there's, on two oil changes and the original plugs and I will truly have attained nirvana! Did I mention it has a warranty?!
WLF

Post by WLF »

Nice bikes, which Guzzi have you brought?
Pat

Post by Pat »

Its the v7 special, orange and black with the wire wheels and blacked out engine. Apparently the all singing all dancing new v7 models are out now so dealers are keen to shift stock. so these were listed at £7,200 but I got mine for under 6k otr, not pre registered either, I have just had the new reg through WV15 UAU. For once I played 2 dealers off against each other and grabbed the last one (yay)
WLF

Post by WLF »

Good work! I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Enjoy.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Cheers all. :lol:
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Pat wrote:Its the v7 special, orange and black with the wire wheels and blacked out engine. Apparently the all singing all dancing new v7 models are out now so dealers are keen to shift stock. so these were listed at £7,200 but I got mine for under 6k otr, not pre registered either, I have just had the new reg through WV15 UAU. For once I played 2 dealers off against each other and grabbed the last one (yay)
Hang on! I thought you'd bought a Mk1 Le Mans? I take it all back then, the others are all rubbish!
No, of course not. They are all fine. A friend has a Breva 750 which I have serviced and repaired and ridden. That is a cracking bike for the money and the same engine as yours, I think.

I see you have a damaged RSV Mille as well? I don't have the chassis bits you're looking for but have you thought about a word with NLM? I wouldn't mind that bike myself for a trackday toy! How bad is it? Want to swap for a Bantam rolling chassis? Pretty much the same, two wheels and all that!
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Steve, the mille went over in the storms last april, outside under a cover. Broke a both left hand indicators and the clutch lever. Must have damaged the side stand because she went over again when I got her home and put on the stand. Broke the clutch perch itself on the 2nd fall. It threw the alarm (data tool 2) into mental mode and kept going off randomly until It flattened the battery. Hasn't turned a wheel since. Thats the worst bit. Otherwise bike sound, other than a carbon can (and re-chipped to suit) it is a standard 2003 rsv mille. 26k new rear tyre. Usual brembo/showa/sachs. At the time I had 5 bikes and two cars so she just got left unsorted. Send me p.m. if you're interested. Pat
Pat

Post by Pat »

Picking up the new guzzi tomorrow. Weather forecast is predictably shite. Guess I should be excited but its having the morini nearly ready thats got me buzzing. She was running like a swiss watch thanks to a full re-build from NLM. But sidestand was hanging off, seat was leaking and needed new chain and sprockets so took the opportunity to make some rearsets and sort few other bits too. So, fingers crossed, next wk....
Pat

Post by Pat »

Predictably horrendous weather on the ride back from Bristol after picking up the guzzi. I had planned to avoid M4 and do scenic route home to wales but caved in and hit the motorway as it was foul. First impressions good, much lighter than bonneville and a lot less vibey than the Enfield I tried. Only one negative thing that stands out is slightly sloppy gear selection. I was surprised as was expecting it to be notchy on a zero mile bike. I rode a 08 plate of the same model and gear box was fine? That bike had 12,000 under its belt so fingers crossed it will improve in time/miles.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Well all doubt has been suspended, I had the recentish revelation that i may be slowing down. Had my morini sport a year now and despite a four months off the road for engine re-build and some modded rear sets I have done 4000 kiloflogs. I wondered if I could live with an older bike on a daily basis and the answer is a resounding yes. I have used her for all the shopping runs, anytime I need to go in to town or just plain fun. I bought a guzzi for "backup" and thats been a joy too, my much loved tuono has been left sulking in the back of the garage, and to my own amazement, I have decided to sell it. Between the guzzi and my sport, I have all the bikes I need. I am definitely slowing down. If I had to have just one, it would be my morini. But one bike is just not enough. ..is it?
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Your story sounds familiar Pat. I had a Ducati Monster S4 with that fabulous 916 engine. After slogging around India on a Royal Enfield I decided I liked this classic biking thing and bought myself a 3 1/2 Strada for my 50th birthday. Every time I opened the garage door I chose the Morini over the Ducati, and eventually sold the Monster to fund another 3 1/2, a Sport to keep the Strada company. They've both taken me on continental tours, done track-days, plenty of aimless riding around and they give me all the pleasure I need at legal-ish speeds. Although I do miss the acceleration of 100 bhp when you crack it open in second and keep going till it hits the rev limiter at 100mph... As Corsaro Chris has said elsewhere on the forum 'Oh my lord!' (sic.)
"I'll have a V please, Bob."