Cleaning leathers

Anything to do with motorcyles
Daddy Dom

Cleaning leathers

Post by Daddy Dom »

I just bought a second-hand '80s one-piece set of leathers and they're a little bit grimy. I certainly don't want to remove their patina, just give them a little love. Does anyone have any favourite ideas/processes/products to share?
Cheers,
DD
MRC 3082½
MickeyMoto

Re: Cleaning leathers

Post by MickeyMoto »

Renapur - great for cleaning and proofing.
devon wrinklie

Post by devon wrinklie »

MickeyMoto wrote:Renapur - great for cleaning and proofing.
Just to add another opinion.
Nikwax Leather Cleaner/Restorer is the way to go, but use sparingly. After several applications Renapur will clog up the material eventually destroying the leathers natural breathability. Renapur can also leave a slightly sticky finish that will attract dirt more easily, hence more applications and a speedier loss of breathability. If the leathers have already been subjected to the dreadful product that is Renapur, then I'm afraid you will have to stick with it.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Not seen any of those traits myself.

However I have also used nikwax in the past with success. I use Renapur sparingly, as instructed, after using the cleaner.

Also use on my walking boots and my feet stay dry.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Saddle soap and neatsfoot oil. Just neatsfoot oil (derived from cow's feet) if it's only lightly soiled.
Nikwax is good, but might be a bit heavy for leathers.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I used neatsfoot oil back in the day (around 1976) but use Nikwax products, e.g. leather cleaner restorer and then went over with the leather waterproofer in either clear or black as appropriate. Seems to work well.