MOT on old bikes

Anything to do with motorcyles
3potjohn

MOT on old bikes

Post by 3potjohn »

I meant to ask this at the recent AGM but as I spent the previous evening in the company of a Wicked Lady and was therefore somewhat attenuated next day, I failed to rise to the occasion.
Do owners of bikes declared as historic vehicles bother with an MOT? Does not having one impact ( poor choice of word here) on insurance? Reading the FJ webpages reassured me that as long as I keep the vehicle in a roadworthy condition and remember to keep declaring it as historic at VED renewal time I am not in breech of the policy.
And I am pretty sure it was Margaret Lockwood that was in the above film and that it was she who sang “ I‘ll be you’re sweetheart” as this was what my late mother used to sing to my very young son back in 1986 ( or was that 1896).
John,
Ps it’s my fault. I said a few days ago what this garden needs is plenty of rain.......well the bananas seem to like it.
MarkB

Re: MOT on old bikes

Post by MarkB »

No John, it's my fault: I bought a barbecue on Sunday. My Morinis have just reached historic age so no longer need MOTs. I'll get one anyway for the Sport because that's been largely taken apart and put back together again, and an independent check will be valuable. The Strada's always passed its MOT in my ten years of ownership (despite once having a cracked frame that Paul Compton later discovered by watching the bike ticking over on its centrestand), and it's simple to go through an MOT checklist.

My BSA B33 (1953) had been MOT exempt for years when I bought it and jeez did it show! Cracked tyres, fork bushes/steering head bearings and a home-made rear spindle and incorrect bearings were the main culprits.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

See the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Club's (FBHVC) website. It is not clear. It all depends on whether the bike is original, or changed, or what has changed. Also, some insurance companies may try and wriggle out of a claim, but they would need to prove the bike was unroadworthy at the time etc etc. An MoT is, as it says on the ticket, only valid at the point of inspection. A month later does not mean it is still roadworthy.

For me, I would get a certificate for two reasons: 1. A fresh pair of independent eyes. 2. One less thing for the bastards to throw at you after an accident. Will also satisfy the police if stopped! Oh, that's three things.

On the above, should we, as a club, be a member of the FBHVC?

Regards,

Mike
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

I think we, owners of historic vehicles, need to take some responsibility here, or insurance companies might force an independent (=expensive) inspection before issuing insurance.
At the AGM rally I noticed a number of Morinis with tyres that haven't been made for at least one decade if not more. :shock:
If you haven't code a 4 digit date code (week-year) then it really should be replaced as its pre 2000!
Mark
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Or ride it more often to wear it out... :)

Just changed my Scrambler tyre... 4,500 miles... Yikes...
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

4500 miles that would be 45 years for some Morinis :(
Ride them don't hide them :D
Mark