The right helmet for a Strada

Anything to do with motorcyles
Lewes96

The right helmet for a Strada

Post by Lewes96 »

I am looking for a new crash helmet but one with the right look for a 70s Strada. Probably full face really. All the ones I have tried seem a bit predator style, or a bit fat bob Harley, or just huge. Don’t think I have a big head but the shells seem massive. Any thoughts?
Ming

Re: The right helmet for a Strada

Post by Ming »

Arai do 'ordinary' shaped full face helmets - pricey but good. The best I ever had was an Arai jet helmet which was very comfortable. Depends what you want to pay. I currently use an Airoh Jet, their full-face are a bit modern, though the flip visor model is not bad. It's a very subjective choice though, depends on your head size and shape, as well as the size of your wallet!
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

Bell and Premier do a few retro styles of both full face and open. If you look at those shops that sell 'trendy' biker gear you might find something. Along with stylish riding shirts and jeans and all for reassuringly expensive prices too :wink:

If you look in WH Smiths magazine shelves all the bike magazines seem to come with a catalogue from these fine gentlemens outfitters these days.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Tried a pudding basin?

Buy one that fits properly and that is quiet and in your price range. Not sure if I have a helmet for image. Open face when I feel like being struck by flies, stones etc and a flip front for when I don't.
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

The right look for a 70s Morini would be a Griffin Clubman or Kangol Falcon (both of which I had) with a visor held on by press studs.

No thanks, I'll stick to my nicely fitting Arai. I think any decent modern full face would look fine but if you want to look in keeping go for a classic plain colour, say black or white.
George 350

Post by George 350 »

You only have one head so look after it. Buy the best helmet you can afford. Same as all riding kit really.
Me? I have tried on lots and found I have a Shoei shaped head. Had an X-Ceed 18 years ago and it worked when needed. Replaced that with a series of X-Spirits, currently use an X-Spirit 3. Quiet, light (very), expensive (£600) in white as I don't like the psychedelic designs of the racer replicas and doesn't stand out as super special.
Regards, George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
Lewes96

Post by Lewes96 »

Thanks for the thoughts!
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I tend towards an open face helmet except if a long motorway trip is required.This makes no sense as a friend of mine has been hit in the face by a large falling branch.Twice! If he had been wearing an open helmet he would have been badly hurt.
John
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Despite being a Shoei wearer nowadays, today I was looking through a bike mag from last year and saw the AGV X3000. It is an AGV 'heritage' helmet, meets latest standards and is pure 1970's nostalgia. Available from under £200 in white to £500+ for leather lined Ago replica.
Crash tested an original one of these back in 1985 and I'm still here.

Lewes, are you going full tilt for the 70's look, with a 'puffer' jacket, oily levi's and trainers too?
Regards,George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

George 350 wrote:
Lewes, are you going full tilt for the 70's look, with a 'puffer' jacket, oily levi's and trainers too?
Regards,George.
Hahahaha

Don't forget the over trousers strapped to the back with the obligatory melted inside left leg. Long hair required, too. Oily finger nails, no mobile and two pints at the local...
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

MickeyMoto wrote:
George 350 wrote:
Regards,George.
Hahahaha

Don't forget the over trousers strapped to the back with the obligatory melted inside left leg. Long hair required, too. Oily finger nails, no mobile and two pints at the local...
And 10 number 6 fags.
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

He will need a pom pom as well.
Lewes96

Post by Lewes96 »

Got a nice and simple Arai in the end. Not quite the classic look of the AGV heritage but very comfy!
Vitesse

Post by Vitesse »

Lewes96 wrote:Got a nice and simple Arai in the end. Not quite the classic look of the AGV heritage but very comfy!
Frankly you can't go wrong with an Arai if it fits your head. I recall the first time I pulled one on and it was a case of, yep, I'm buying this!
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I presume the Strada is now for sale as the helmet is not a matching item? :)