501 Ignition timing

Anything to do with motorcyles
pedro

Re: 501 Ignition timing

Post by pedro »

Something is wrong there Mark, when I had the bike it was an easy starter, in fact I would always take that one out rather than my NLM ignitioned one because I could always rely on it starting. (that changed when I put that one back to standard ignition and it became a pussycat)
I'm wondering if the ignition system has developed a fault, perhaps the Sachs syatem might be the way to go.
You could get it down to Benjy Straw, he knows the bike.
huggins3719

Post by huggins3719 »

MickeyMoto How many turns out from fully screwed in did you have to turn the mixture screws? I take it you have Del'Orto PHBH 28 carbs fitted the same as mine? Screw in to weaken screw out to enrich the mixture.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

MickeyMoto wrote: I put a Kokusan 501 in a Strada and it kickstarted ok, but did need a firm kick. As Norbert says, find compression then kick. A motorcycle boot is needed, not a pair of sneakers. It kicked back at first but after setting the idle mixture screws (or whatever they are called) and the timing dynamically it was ok.
I just started the Forgotten Error while wearing plastic garden clogs. It has stood unused for 18 months. OK, 6 kicks to get the first brief run, because I forgot to give time for the float chambers to fill. Red OEM pickup, NLM module and generic coils. That's with an L5 cam, PHBH28s and no base gaskets.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Yes, but it didn't have Kokusan ignition!

If I remember I initially set the 'mixture' screws to 1.5 turns out, but it wouldn't run off choke so went out to 2.5 out and it ran with no choke. Adjusted from there.
huggins3719

Post by huggins3719 »

Pedro you recommend I let Benjy Straw check my bike. Would you provide contact details please .

Thanks and regards
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

MickeyMoto wrote:Yes, but it didn't have Kokusan ignition!

If I remember I initially set the 'mixture' screws to 1.5 turns out, but it wouldn't run off choke so went out to 2.5 out and it ran with no choke. Adjusted from there.
Both good points well made!

Is it possible to retrofit my preferred setup on a currently Kokusan equipped 501 (or Dart) ? Though I'm guessing parts for the Kokusan are more easily sourced than say an OEM red pickup !

I have the SWF ignition 'solution' ready to fit on the hack. Inertia has prevented me doing so, as it runs the same as the FE, so not huge motivation. Action this day! Well, before the spring anyway.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Mark.
Benjy's details are in the club mag, ATG, Mobile is 07771 554570

If you think a Sachs ignition might be the way to go, you will need to be quick, the order is going in shortly. Only thinking 40 year old electrical components are getting somewhat old, something is wrong somewhere.

Shame Paul Compton doesn't want to look at it, he would be closer for you. Does anyone know what he's up to?
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

72degrees wrote:

Is it possible to retrofit my preferred setup on a currently Kokusan equipped 501 (or Dart) ? Though I'm guessing parts for the Kokusan are more easily sourced than say an OEM red pickup !

I have the SWF ignition 'solution' ready to fit on the hack. Inertia has prevented me doing so, as it runs the same as the FE, so not huge motivation. Action this day! Well, before the spring anyway.
There are similar CDI units available, but not sure if the part numbers are the same. Would Kokusan make a Morini specific cdi unit?

I do not think the kokusan bikes use the pickup under the left side cover, as the timing is done on the alternator side. Are the threaded holes there to fit the plate?

Might be worth having a peek inside. Watch out for spiders!

For me, I will keep running standard until it breaks.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

MickeyMoto wrote:
72degrees wrote:

There are similar CDI units available, but not sure if the part numbers are the same. Would Kokusan make a Morini specific cdi unit?

I do not think the kokusan bikes use the pickup under the left side cover, as the timing is done on the alternator side. Are the threaded holes there to fit the plate?

Might be worth having a peek inside. Watch out for spiders!

For me, I will keep running standard until it breaks.
OK, that makes sense - though the last bit might depend on where you are when it breaks ;)
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

It’s my understanding that for Kokusan ignition you can source the stator and CDI on ebay cheaply as they are used on some species of Kawa and Suzi bikes but the rotor is another ballgame. Soren’s video on Kokusan explains it clearly.
My. Rotor is currently on holiday in deepest Devon (Pennymoor) where I am hoping it will come back sans metal ring.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Mark,
Just a thought, but what are you now running, air filter wise?
When I had it, I was doing a lot of track work and had conventional carbs to air box rubbers going up under the tank, with nothing on the ends of them.
If Denis put filters on it would change the carb settings quite a lot.