Timing?

Anything to do with motorcyles
Matt Hale

Timing?

Post by Matt Hale »

Hi Everyone
I recently joined MRC but have had a 1979 350 Sport-electric start model (but starter is not fitted) for quite a few years...15+
I have recently been fiddle-fettling and have hit a non starting situation. Fuel is coming out of the wrong end of the carbs when I kick it over and none is getting into the engine.
I have changed the cam belt and wonder if I have the timing completely wrong- so wrong the inlet valves are not open at the correct time? If this was the case would it turn over? I have the marks on the cogs the belt runs on correct and have not removed these so they are as was- but can they be lined up but actually completely wrong?
I have stripped carbs and all air/fuel ways seem clear, needles E17-on middle groove and jets correct sizes and clear. There are sparks at the plugs but they remain very dry...
I have checked the valve clearances but could I have done that with pistons at TDC at wrong time- the tappets seemed open when I did check?
Any thoughts and advice on where I should most spend my time very welcome..
Thanks in advance

Best to all !
Matt
350 Sport 1979 electric start model (missing)
Curry yellow tank etc paint work, navy blue frame, silver wheels.
Daddy Dom

Re: Timing?

Post by Daddy Dom »

Hi Matt,
I think more people will see this if you repost it in the Tre e mezzo section. You might also find the answer from a previous post.
Good luck!
Cheers,
Dom
MRC 3082½
Matt Hale

Re: Timing?

Post by Matt Hale »

Hi Dom
Thank you! Will do
Matt
350 Sport 1979 electric start model (missing)
Curry yellow tank etc paint work, navy blue frame, silver wheels.