SAT NAVS

Anything to do with motorcyles
Emmohaswheelsagain

SAT NAVS

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Have any of you members out there purchased a sat nav? Thinking I might need some navigational assistance if the factory trip goes ahead this year. All investigations so far point towards Tom Tom Rider 2 at around £300.00. Before I go out and buy one it would be good to know if they are worth it. Managed to find my way to the factory back in 81 however if technogly can make it easier then that fine my me.
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

The trouble with a water-proof (water-resistant!) motorcycle type is that you have to buy a mount for each bike and you run the risk of it being snatched off the bike.

I bought an ordinary model (Mitac Mio) with a headphone socket. I run it in my inside jacket pocket and use a pair of very cheap earpods.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
SteveMRC
Site Admin

Post by SteveMRC »

I bought an older Garmin 2610 several years ago (It's amazing how much they have dropped in price since).

Yes it needs to be wired into the bike and each bike needs a seperate mount, but there are all sorts of different fittings available. I can also use it in any car on a bean bag mount plugged into the lighter socket.

It's waterproof, can be operated with gloves on (important on a bike) and locks to the cradle but can be easily removed.

I don't have any earphone wired into mine on the bike, just use the large screen to see the directions.

Make sure you get one with a large enough memory to fit the UK and Europe on, you don't really want to be swapping memory cards over half way through a long journey.

They are fantastic in a strange city when you just have to concentrate on the traffic and don't have to worry about road signs.

One of the best features is a Home button, just press it and it will guide you home from anywhere.

You still need a bit of common sense though, they do tend to point you down unsuitable roads or ask you to do u-turns on motorways etc. :?
tecmoto

Post by tecmoto »

Zumo 550 by Garmin expencive but worth every penny comes with a car mount as well I went all over europe with one last year it was superb in every way and can even be operated with gloves on.
Emmohaswheelsagain

Sat Navs

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Thanks for the info, most useful. Time i believe to have a closer look at the different products and haggle a price.
PVC

Post by PVC »

I use a Garmin 2820 on my bike...only minuspoint is no internal batterie.
For the rest, it's all the way thumbs up!
-=2nd Place Is The 1st Loser=-