Motorcycle Road Tax

Anything to do with motorcyles
Jem

Motorcycle Road Tax

Post by Jem »

Old Bike Mart for February has a report on p13 from Missing Lincs Triumph OC about road tax being doubled for bikes this year. There is a web address for a petition. The only evidence I can find for this on the Web is a report on the MCN website from last March mentioning a statement by the Environmental Transport Association; I can't find any mention on the ETA's website.

The only reference I can find is on http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/tax_vehic ... e_duty.htm where they say:
The Government announces at Pre-Budget Report 2008 that VED rates for motorbikes and Heavy Goods Vehicles will be frozen in 2009...
I was going to publicise it in the club newsletter but there's too much scaremongering on the Web. Has anyone seen evidence for this report?
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Jem;

Wasn't it just for bikes of 125cc, where the tax would increase from £15 to £33 per annum? The rest stays much as is - so commuters and small scooters get hammered, whilst the rest of us cary on much as before.

Not fair on the small bikes (and Morinis) which are the least polluters, but I guess that the powers in suits feel that it's something that they can get away with...

Ride 'em while you can? :cry:

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
ringer

Post by ringer »

I am usually as incensed as the next man when it comes to ever increasing tax in all its various forms. I am not anti tax regimes - it is what our civilised society is based on. But let it be fair and reasonable.

On this occasion, I have to agree with the raise. I ride a 125cc scooter for my daily commute, and I could not believe how little road tax I have to pay for it. It is laughable, particularly when I have to pay hundreds of pounds for road tax on my car. When you get a years road tax for £15, how much of that do you expect actually gets to the road fund after administration charges? As I said before, let the tax be fair and reasonable. I think that in this day and age, £33 is a fair and reasonable tax when you benefit from the use of the road network.
Nick - 1979 500 Strada
Jem

Post by Jem »

Chris, the reference to 125s was just an example. If you check out the report http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/ ... =EPI-99336 you'll see (note the date!).

What I've found convinces me this is all false.

The 2008 Budget, published before the MCN report, says:
A.98 As announced in the 2007 Pre-Budget Report, in 2008-09 only, the VED rates for
motorbikes in the lower band will be frozen, with higher bands increased by £1-2; and rates
for heavy goods vehicles, special types vehicles, combined transport vehicles and all vehicle
categories linked to the basic goods rate will be frozen. Changes to VED rates for 2008-09 will
take effect from 13 March 2008. (t)
See http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/bud08_chaptera.pdf p 121.

The November 2008 pre-budget report says:
7.37 The Government also announces that VED rates for motorbikes and heavy goods
vehicles will be frozen in 2009, as will all related rates including special types vehicles,
combined transport vehicles and all vehicle categories linked to the basic goods rate.
See http://www.hm-treasury.gov.uk/d/pbr08_chapter7_159.pdf p 136.

So, road tax was never going to double and now it's frozen for at least this year. Haven't people got better things to do than invent nonsense?

Jem

(BTW, did I mention that I spoke to Bruce Springsteen on the Harley stand at the Bristol Classic Bike Show - he said he was over to check out Glastonbury) :wink:
Last edited by Jem on 25 Feb 2009 19:05, edited 2 times in total.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I have not recovered my composure at the outrageous jump in VED from £5 to £20 some years ago.400%! I think I was putting 50 pence worth of 5-star in my C15 each week before graduating to a Lightning.
And now I find my car ( OK its a Pug207) is only around the same cost to tax as my Morini.