Tre mezzo and 500 section

Let me know what you think of the site and forum.
Fastmongrel

Tre mezzo and 500 section

Post by Fastmongrel »

I have a 3 1/2 Strada but I have found it very useful to check the 500 section for information. I was thinking why not combine the two sections as the two engines are pretty much the little and large version of the same engine.

It's not exactly a bore checking both sections but you could miss something useful if your not checking both.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
'It must be a .....'

Re: Tre mezzo and 500 section

Post by 'It must be a .....' »

Hi, I'm fine with things as they are, especially as the bikes are quite different in detail
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Agree there are big areas of overlap between the different models (hurrah for our modular bikes!) and so sometimes it hard to know where best to post, and as you say, useful to share common info across multiple models.

From a keeping info strictly accurate perspective though, I prefer to keep topics model specific- for example a 350 owner with no experience of the 500 may assume some part is common to the 500, and this could lead to misinformation if they made some statement in a shared forum topic that was correct for the 350 but wrong for the 500.

The forum search feature is actually very good and I quite often search the whole forum for what I’m after.

There is the possibility the forum admin has to move a post but leave a shadow topic in place, thereby creating a version of a thread in multiple places. This might be an appropriate thing to do in some instances, but of course puts a small burden on the forum admin. Happy to try that out but not sure how we achieve that consistently (we are all volunteers after all)

Coincidentally there was a post I moved a few days ago asking for help rebuilding an electric fuel tap- again, multiple places this post could reside- I moved it to the wanted section and shadowed it in the 350 and 500 forums, thereby making it visible in all
norbert

Post by norbert »

Have you had a look at the german web-site?

i think it has a very good structure. 350 and 500 tecnic in the same department that is divided up in motor, electric, framework ... That makes it easy to find and extend subjects even without the search function. If people have the disciplin to choose a clear title for their treads (asking for examle "clutch or swing arm 500") it works fine and normaly there is no work of the admin needed to put an orden.

Years ago (with the help of the main admin) I transfered this system to the spanish site and it also worked well (until most people decided to get lost in the memoryless space of whatsapp and facebook what is a great pitty). I´ve struggeld for years trying to convince them that this social medias are a shit to archive knowledge and mantain the comunity. Without success. Now the spanish forum is almost dead and the people divided up in several whatsapp groups that even don´t talk with the others for being catalán, madrileño or whatever. Before this all heve been united in our forum (forbidden to talk about politics and soccer!!!) It´s a real pain :( :roll:

https://www.ital-web.de/forum/index.php
I don´t understand nothinh of IT, but think that the base of the forum ist the same as yours.
https://www.lamaneta.org/forolamaneta/v ... m.php?f=23

The german site as well as yours seem to have no problems with spam robots meanwhile the spanish one sometimes is invaded!
Fastmongrel

Post by Fastmongrel »

I have thought a bit more about the topic and I am thinking a section for all the small classic v twins 250 to 500. Separate sections for electronics, bodywork, engines and chassis et al that all show under the Little V section header.

All posts show under Little V header last post top but also the sub headings I listed above can be clicked and last post top.

I am not trying to change a long lasting forum but there doesn't seem to be a lot of traffic on the site and maybe a refresh might draw more visitors. I usually only click on the tre mezzo section unless I am bored and I am sure I miss plenty.
1981 3 1/2 Strada
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

I prefer the status quo. I've seen other forums divided up as you suggest and I find them too 'bitty'. I check the 350 and 500 sections along with the Green laners as those are where my interest lie. If you really think you can improve things there is an opening for another volunteer to work the forum. I'm not qualified thankfully.
I would also add that as Morinis are still very much a minority interest the traffic here is unlikely ever to be great. As Norbert say above Facebook etc are only good for the moment and knowledge gets buried quickly. I'm guilty of using them still...
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

This forum gets relatively high traffic compared to many that have been subsumed by FB groups.

As Tom says, the search facility is your friend, particularly the advanced search brought up by clicking on the little cogwheel icon.

The Quick Links menu is also useful as is the ability to subscribe to threads that cover a topic of interest.

The phpBB software is not the best, but it is free and widely used so has a very active support forum.

Having many different sections in a forum is not always the best strategy. On one I could mention lots of posts just go in "In the Pub" anyway.
Ming

Post by Ming »

I was involved on a similar small site in re-ordering posts into more logical sections some years ago. it took quite a long time to decide how to order the sections (mechanicals, electricals, chassis, etc?), but we decided on model designation. Even that involved a great deal of voluntary work.
Had that been a Moto Morini forum, the choice would have been very similar to this existing one.
I can see some logic in the proposals you make, but knowing the amount of work the reorganisation would take and the difficulty in finding volunteers, I think it's better left "as-is". The current format is quite understandable for new users. OK, they may miss some usable information from a different model, but we are all intelligent enthusiasts, who know there are many similarities and commonalities between the models (aren't we?). :roll:

The big thing to remember is - all the info posted is still available, it's not "Social Meeja", with all the whistles and bells, limitless photo size but no archives.
norbert

Post by norbert »

I totaly agree! It´s a lot of work trying to reorder such a forum and also would suggest to leave it as it is :wink:

I only wanted to show you the structure of our ital-web, that is realy nice. When we changed to this software we already nearly had this structure before.
When the spanish Lamanta site changed to this software as well, I took the chance to introduce the structure (tecnic/motor/electrics, framework ...) in the morini subforum as well (the morini section ist the only one with it, Montesa, Bultaco, Ducati, Derbi ... do not have any structure at all).

I´m not that adicted to the internet. To say the truth mostly every day I enter to have a look at my e-mails end the three morini forums german, british and spanish and maybe google if looking for something, that´s all.

And CONGRATULACIONS !!! Your´s seem to be the forum with the most traffic!
One thing is the tecnical help that is gauranteed by the members, the other thing is the constant contact with the other blokes that together with our magazines and anual meetings is what have kept us alive all this years! And I´m confident that this will go on and on :P