Welcome new forum members - introduce yourself

Club matters
Steve Brown

Re: Welcome new forum members - introduce yourself

Post by Steve Brown »

P&S wrote:Hello, My name is Paolo,I am from Rome.
I am an italian Moto Morini enthusiast,
I had mainly Morinis in my life.
A Corsarino when I was a kid, a Corsaro as a teen ager, two 3 1/2 GT ( what you call Strada)when I was young and two now that I grew up.
I did and I am doing a lot of traveling with my 3 1/2.
I went to Morocco and Turkey and twice to England in the past, and recently to Nederland and the Alps. Thank’s to Italian weather I can use my GT 1980 every day almost twelve month a year.( It has 110000 Km and the engine has never been touched)
I have been reading your forum for a while and I am pleased to see people from the country that built the most wonderfull motorbikes in the world so fond of the small italian jewel.
Welcome Paolo, and special thanks for the information on Marzzochi parts too. I have some of those most wonderful motorbikes in the world as well as four Moto Morinis. So, maybe we all just recognise class machinery when we see it! :)
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
Runner67

Post by Runner67 »

Hello everyone, I am Ilpo from Finland and I´m 50 years old. I have had several bikes, only Japanese but I´ve been looking powerful and good looking naked bike for a few years... problem was that the models I like is expensive... for example Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S... I already thought that I buy Triumph Speed Triple but accidentally I noticed on internet that there was nice looking bike for sale. Moto Morini was weird sign for me but now I am happy MM- owner, more specifically Moto Morini Corsaro Veloce 2007. When I bought this in the spring It had small buggs but no bigger mistakes... radiator fan don´t work (right side), one line is missing from the LCD-screen and nothing happens on the function button, little oil leak etc... Now begans cold weather in Finland and bike is in warm storage and I have lot of time make services.
Attachments
mopo2.jpg
mopo2.jpg (148.69 KiB) Viewed 19155 times
Last edited by Runner67 on 25 Oct 2017 09:52, edited 1 time in total.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Welcome to the forum - that's a nice looking bike.
I prefer the smaller ones myself, but there is a lot of activity in the sections covering the newer models. Good luck with your winter servicing.
Runner67

Post by Runner67 »

Ming wrote:Welcome to the forum - that's a nice looking bike.
I prefer the smaller ones myself, but there is a lot of activity in the sections covering the newer models. Good luck with your winter servicing.
Thanks ! New tyres, valve checkin, chancing oils and filter, also fuelfilter etc. And maybe some carbon fibre parts... new led flashers... :mrgreen:
Seagreen

Post by Seagreen »

Hi,
I would like to introduce myself; I have just joined the Morini Riders Club having recently bought a 1984 Morini 500 from Denmark - this is now in the process of being re-commissioned - there are a number of faults that I have found, the biggest to date was the sprocket driven by the starter motor - it was minus 8 teeth so there was a dreadful cacophony when the starter button was depressed!! I guess that I have always liked Morini V twins and since I am looking to downsize a bit from my Laverda triple and Moto-Guzzi 1000, so when this popped up on eBay at a price that I felt I could afford, I placed a bid and to my surprise I won it!
I do have a couple of questions for those in the know:
1. Should the fuel line from the RH tap under the tank feed into the solenoid operated fuel tap or should it feed directly into the carb below it (as mine is set up) thus acting as a reserve in the event of solenoid failure - can't see the point of it otherwise?
2. What fuel is best used - the manual specifies 5 star (no longer available) so is it best to add one of the octane booster additives? Should the fuel be lead free - as far as I know the head has not had any conversion work on it but perhaps was already fitted with suitable valve seats for lead free fuel?
3. Is there a good alternative to the standard air filter arrangement - seems an unnecessarily awkward & time consuming job to check the filters - is there a good K & N or equivalent filter that can be fitted? Would that upset the jetting?
4. Recommended engine oil for UK use?
I am sure that I will have more questions to ask another time but if anyone has any suggestions/answers/comments I would be very grateful if they could post them.

Thanks in advance,
Charles
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi Charles, and welcome to both the MRC and the Clubs' forum. There are better qualified people to answer your queries, but as I'm on here...

1. Yes, the manual switch is for reserve, you should get another 30 miles or so if the pipe level internally hasn't been altered (but as always, worth checking)
2. Many use Super unleaded in the UK - additives are a personal choice, some do, many don't
3. Tamper with the standard system at your peril; it is possible but you'll be re-jetting to compensate for the loss of 'still air' which suits the Heron head arrangement. It is said that the Factory knew what they were doing. If you do fit K&Ns there can be advantages, but how fast do you want to go (fast, as opposed to quick)? Others would be happy to expand on this, possibly on a seperate thread - there's lots on here about this topic (the Forum is searchable)
4. The modern equivalent of GTX? Many use a budget multigrade and change it regularly.

One other thing - change the cam belt if you haven't already - they don't like being unused for a long time.

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Welcome Charles! As Chris has said. It may be that your fuel tap solenoid has given up the ghost, so someone's bypassed it. It should give a satisfying 'clunk' when you switch the ignition on. For petrol on my 350s and 500 (no longer mine) I always use a good brand of super unleaded: Shell, Mobil and Total are meant to be generally free of ethanol. A popular choice for oil is Halfords 10/40 semi-synthetic.

I'm sure you'll love the bike!

Regards, Mark.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
Seagreen

Post by Seagreen »

Hi Chris and Mark, thanks for the welcome and for your replies to my queries. I realised after I had posted my questions that this part of the website was not the best for those types of questions so I then posted the same under the 500 section.
Regarding your replies, I have duly noted your comments and advice that largely agrees with posted replies in the 500 section. The only real difference relates to fuel type, you both seem to prefer/propose Super grade whilst others seem to use standard grade. I guess I will just have to try the different options and see which best suits the bike.
Thanks again,
Charles
pikl

Post by pikl »

Hello,
I am probably among the youngest Morini riders. Im 20 years old, but I owned a few 350 Morinis. I was always around bikes (thanks to my father). My first road bike was a 73' CB360 (24 years older than me). I guess the japanese did not convince me too much, and I soon switched to a 77' V35 Moto Guzzi. Truly a wonderful bike, great handling and brakes, even compared to modern bikes. But the engines were terribly underpowered on the early models. Then, I also bought a 77' Morini 350 in Italy. Image
Needed a bit of work, but it is a really nice and mostly original example (since that photo was taken, I've also got original Lafranconis and found a brand new vacuum sealed chromed disc in italy). Soon, I found myself buying some 3 more Morini Kanguros (square frame models). Not to ride them, but more to get a few more spare parts. Then, I also bought an X1 Kanguro, that I decided to fix up:
It's a great bike too. Handles really nice (though the front brake is not that impressive). Unfortunately, the previous owner must have rode it with not enough oil for a while. Soon I had to rebuild the engine )never done a complete rebuild before either). Just finished it about a month ago, and the engine runs great now. Replaced all the bearings, reground the crank, replaced the oil pump, fit 67mm pistons for around 400cc, and the X3 camshaft with more lift. It made taking off really easy now. I do not want to make it too tuned, just reliable... I am a bit sad that I did not replace the plain bearing with a roller type, but I guess the plain bearing should hold for a while too with frequent oil changes.

Here's my ol' trusty 77' V35, I am kindof sad I sold it:
Bought it for some change at a scrap yard, never had a problem with it.

Currently, I am mainly riding my R100RT BMW (monolever), and am working on a 71' CB450, and on a 97' Ducati Monster (never owned a bike younger than me, while this one is just as old as me). Also recently got my eyes on a 54' Triumph Tiger T100, that is really tempting me.

Edit: unfortunately I do not know how to resize photos, so they are huge and you do not see them whole. Try clicking them to see them whole.
Ming

Post by Ming »

Hello and welcome, Pikl.
All I can say is wow!
Manda

Post by Manda »

Manda wrote:
I don't own a Morini or indeed any bike right now. But I have wanted a Morini 3 1/2 since the 1980s and I have decided that now is the time to pursue that dream, so I hope to be on the road by next year.
Update!! I have just purchased a Morini 500 off ebay. Looking forward to picking it up asap and riding off into the sunset, wind rain hail and snow! It's not the prettiest but it works. Hope to meet some of you over the summer, somewhere.

Manda
floydsveloce

Post by floydsveloce »

Welcome to the club Manda

You don't say where you are in the world , but hopefully there will be a group near you . Have a look in the back of our bi monthly magazine as we have the south east section and also the corsaro section down here in the south of the UK.

Safe riding !

Floyd
fredlabulle

Post by fredlabulle »

hi
I am fredlabulle , i 'm in france , in the south , near montpellier and alés in the cévennes , i have few morini , one gp who had 130 000 kms , never mutch problem whith it , a real funy bike , with an écu of corsaro veloce , more fun , and a 1200 sport , 30 000 kms , it 's a bike to ride alone and to had trips whith friends , gp it ' s both one the bike with my whife . I had 3 corsaro that i tuned and send , and one I make for race .
We ' re going whith friends at the nw 200 on may this year , four morini , is there any one going
sorry for my sad english , is there a translate in the forum
fb
Ming

Post by Ming »

Bienvenue fredlabulle, je suis Anglais, et j'habite au Centre (36), je peux faire des traductions (dans la limite!). J'ai 3 Morinis, 3½ GT, 3½K2 et 250C2.
Hello fredlabulle, I'm an Englishman living in Region Centre (Indre - 36), I can translate (more or less) for you. I have a 350 Strada, a 350K2 and a 250C2.
fredlabulle

Post by fredlabulle »

Ming wrote:Bienvenue fredlabulle, je suis Anglais, et j'habite au Centre (36), je peux faire des traductions (dans la limite!). J'ai 3 Morinis, 3½ GT, 3½K2 et 250C2.
Hello fredlabulle, I'm an Englishman living in Region Centre (Indre - 36), I can translate (more or less) for you. I have a 350 Strada, a 350K2 and a 250C2.
I ansered to one of your le bon coin annoncement for a 3 1/2 morini to know the wheigh , isn t it
fb