Welcome new forum members - introduce yourself

Club matters
floydsveloce

Re: Welcome new forum members - introduce yourself

Post by floydsveloce »

Hi
It's floydy here, joined earlier this year.
Live near Chichester, west Sussex. I have a white veoce,which I love to bits !! The sound is awesome, it looks awesome........its totally awesome !!! Best bike I have ever had.
I know Nicko on this site, as we have met up on a couple of occasions.
Look forward to hopefully meet some of you guys, if you're down my way.

Floydy
Emmohaswheelsagain

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Hi Floydy,

It can be difficult meeting up with another Morini owner particularly as there are so few.
I hope you continue to enjoy your Veloce, great bike and greatly under rated.
I am sure there are a few members in your area who can meet up for a ride out.

Safe Riding

Paul
TimG.

Post by TimG. »

Hi,

I am another returner having previously been a member of the MRC between 1980 and 1984 when I had a 1978 3 1/2 Sport (NBH 874 V) whilst at University - is it still out there?. I sold it soon after graduating having purchase a Ducati 900SS MHR which I kept until 1997 (if only.....)

I returned to motorcycling in 2010 with a 1979 Honda CB750F, the first of the DOHC as I thought it would be quite a soft way to return which indeed it was and I still have it. It was imported from Ohio and had only covered 1900 miles, it is very original looking like a two year old bike.
My next acquisition was a 2008 registered Benelli Tornado 900 TRE which was fantastic, so I replaced it in 2012 with a new Benelli Tornado 900 TRE.

By this time I had passed the IAM Advanced Motorcycle test and had become an Observer to assist others wishing to prepare for the IAM Advanced Motorcycle test. I have recently qualified as an IAM National Observer.

As I enjoy Observing all year and the Benelli was too nice to run through the winter, I looked around for a winter bike - something with heated grips, shaft drive and ABS and found a high mileage (67K) BMW R1200GS. I was really surprised by this bike which I bought as a winter tool but found I really liked it and is competent in all areas and very comfortable.

Last year exploring some green lanes seemed like a good idea with a friend from the IAM who had done lots, so I sought a suitable steed and came across a CCM404DS which fitted the bill and it turned out that green laneing in the Winter is a great idea!

Which nearly brings us up to date. The BMW has gone and has been replaced by a current BMW R1200 GS TE LC.

Another itch that needed scratching earlier this year was the wee vee itch - so I now am the proud owner of a 31/2 Sport which is currently being fettled at NLM (whom I have known since 1980 and are only 5 miles away!).

That's it on the biking front - looking forward to making the most of what spare time I have this winter on the CCM and BMW and being spoilt for choice next summer!

TimG.
old sport

Post by old sport »

Hi there to all you good Morini folk. I have a 75 Drum Brake Sport here in the center of Canada. No other Morinis that I know about anywhere near here. I first owned this bike in 1996, bought from a nice fellow in Ottawa. I sold it later, but have just bought it back. I missed it and I'm glad to have it again.
It is a left side shift model from the factory and as such I think was likely one of the last Drum Brake Sport models produced. It has a different paint scheme on the tank than the right side shift drum brake models. I believe it to be original, but I'd like to confirm that before I restore the tank. Is there a marque expert or someone that has the factory records for these bikes by frame/engine number? Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance.
Barry
Last edited by old sport on 10 Nov 2015 19:46, edited 1 time in total.
Daddy Dom

Post by Daddy Dom »

Hi Barry,
welcome along. Of course, some photos and your frame-number will help. Then, it won't take you long reading through the forum and looking at other pictures to see that another bike built the same day as yours may well have slight differences. That's why Morinisti have a different take on what's "original" and what's not. Basically, they're all original until they're not :-)

I'm also interested because I too have a different paint scheme on my tank, so am curious to see yours. Mine's a right-side-shift, triple disc 83K with a 1982 wheel-code.

So, no need to sweat too much over the small stuff. Most of us will suggest just riding it, as I hope you are, despite the temperature where you live.
Cheers,
Dom in NZ
MRC 3082½
old sport

Post by old sport »

I'm going to attempt a photo here of my bike for you all to see. Please let me have any comments on the tank paint.
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

It looks as though someone's copied the design of the '2nd generation' Sport tank scheme. the side panels look fine, and the tank would have had a black panel with white pinstripes on the red background. This photo should explain (Corsaro Chris's drum Sport and my disc one). But as Dom said, just ride it and enjoy!

"I'll have a V please, Bob."
old sport

Post by old sport »

Thanks Mark
Both those bikes look beautifully restored!
My frame # A105781.
I do enjoy riding mine, but I'd like to keep it as authentically original as possible. I suspect my Drum brake Sport is one of a late 1975 batch of bikes made that had winkers and left side shifting for the US/Canada market. As such, it's possible that the tank paint on them was different than the earlier right side shift European bikes. Not likely perhaps, but possible. I want to restore the tank because it has a 20 year old dent in it and before I copy someone else's restoration pattern, I'd like to see if I can locate any photos of factory or unrestored original Drum Brake Sports, especially Left Side Shift Drum Brake Sports.
Anybody with links or factory original photos of those tanks?
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

Your best bet is an original factory brochure.

ebay item 330789607792 for example.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
old sport

Post by old sport »

Thanks
I bought one of those just now.
I'll have to see if I can still find any photos of the US/Canada bikes with left side shift and drum brake with turn signals.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi Old Sport and welcome to the Forum and - hopefully - the MRC!

Another line of research for you will be old Canadian magazines than will have run road tests and analysis of the bikes when first bought in to the country. Do let us know what you find, as it all adds to the knowledge!

Good hunting, and more importantly, riding...

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
123morini

Hello from Belgium...

Post by 123morini »

Hello ,

my name is Christian from Belgium and I am a friend of Bruno (Brubru) .

I was at Cadwell and it was nice to met Stuart from NLM and some other peoples . It was a great day for me and my friend Christophe alias Coco .

About the bikes I have a 1975 350 sport in bits to be restaured a 1976 350 sport an other 1977 350 sport a 500 Sei an other 500 with a shortened frame (as350) and top engine from a 507 a Dart 400 and a 350 for classics races . Between us I like Morini .

Christian .
acv2

Post by acv2 »

Hi all, My turn to introduce myself, or are the bikes more important..? So I am an engineer in Norfolk with a lifelong passion for engines, bikes and cars. I did own a 3 1/2 Sport in 1983 but decided running it and a Pantah as a student was asking too much of my grant (remember them?) so it went, but now I have a 500 Sei which is on the road and a 3 1/2 Strada from 1974 which I have started to restore since I acquired it in several boxes. Not all of it was there, of course, and I am hunting for the necessary bits, but I did buy another engine in bits from a well known internet auction site and will be making one good one. NLM have recently been collecting beer vouchers from me in exchange for several small pieces of metal all in the expectation that one day soon a complete engine will emerge from the workshop bench.
When I get a camera I'll see if I can post a pic or two on here.
Cheers.
A
123morini

Re: Hello from Belgium...

Post by 123morini »

123morini wrote:Hello ,

my name is Christian from Belgium and I am a friend of Bruno (Brubru) .

I was at Cadwell and it was nice to met Stuart from NLM and some other peoples . It was a great day for me and my friend Christophe alias Coco .

About the bikes I have a 1975 350 sport in bits to be restaured a 1976 350 sport an other 1977 350 sport a 500 Sei an other 500 with a shortened frame (as350) and top engine from a 507 a Dart 400 and a 350 for classics races . Between us I like Morini .

Christian .
Here are two picture of the bikes . As soon as I will have some more pictures I will send them .
tttt.jpg
tttt.jpg (153.85 KiB) Viewed 19320 times
DSC00055.jpg
DSC00055.jpg (91.08 KiB) Viewed 19320 times
Christian .
Brubru

Post by Brubru »

Welcome Christian!

Christian did not mention that, together with François Bernard -who also becomes a regular at Cadwell- and Doug Ellis, we are members of the French Morini Passion Club. Some MRC members seemingly have memories of the Coupes Moto Legende...

Bruno
The fastest touring rack east of the Channel