Welcome new forum members - introduce yourself

Club matters
Tightoldbiker

Post by Tightoldbiker »

Hello Jenny.

Thanks for the welcome . :-)

I was thinking it best to wait for a reply on the newbie thread before diving in and posting on others.

Ah well , I will keep looking in , and post if I have anything useful to add on other threads.
Mezzo Litro

Post by Mezzo Litro »

Hello to everyone in the MRC. Tomorrow marks a significant day in my biking life, as I will be picking up my first Morini, a '82 Maestro.

To introduce myself; I'm 42, married and live in Frodsham, Cheshire. I come from a family of biking enthusiasts (my dad is 74 and owns two Guzzi's and a Ducati Monster). My first bike, at 13, was a Honda SS50, followed at 16 by the obligatory Fizzy, then a Honda CB100. A serious accident at 19 led to a break in my biking history for seven years until acquiring a Yamaha Townmate (of all things!) in lieu of a bad debt got me back on two wheels. That was quickly followed by a Honda CB125T, a Suzuki GS425E and a Suzuki VX800, before a trip to the NEC Bike Show in 1998 led me into the wonderful world of Italian motorcycles.

A Laverda 750 Strike (possibly the loudest thing since The Big Bang) lasted me three years until its manic personality and spaghetti electrics got too much and a Guzzi California Special Sport replaced it.

42 seemed as good a time as any to have a mid life crisis, and guess what I had on my bedroom wall when I was 14? - no, not Samantha Fox or that lady tennis player scratching her b*m, but a Morini Maestro. I've always hankered after one, and an extensively rebuilt one appearing on eBay was just too good to miss.

So from tomorrow I will be both a Morini owner and a 'classic biker', I guess. The Guzzi will continue to share garage space with it, and you guys will have to put up with a sequence of dumb questions from me. Hopefully I will be able to put something back into the club too.

I'll post photos when I get it, and in the meantime 'buona giornata!'
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Well done-and now you must wait until the salt is washed away from the roads. I think the sun is due to shine this week.
Talking of Guzzis I had a Mk2 le Mans in about 1980. Banged my kneecaps on that fairing, gearbox left me stuck in 5th through traffic and it went on to one cylinder in the rain. But I got from Horseferry Road to my house at the time in (dare I mention it)Swindon in 58 minutes.
Parted it in for a new T140. What was that about?
Mezzo Litro

Post by Mezzo Litro »

Given ludicrous work commitments and the salt factor, it may be 1st March before a tax disc gets stuck to her.

Also that gives me 19 more days to get her started, something that has so far eluded me!. I'll trawl through the many and various previous posts on this subject before asking "help".....
Misha

Post by Misha »

Hi all!

43 year male Norwegian mechanic, fell in love with morinis 2 years ago when i was looking for a unusual project as a hobby. Wow nice curves!
Morinis was never imported to Norway, so they are pretty rare over here. I imported a -79 sport from Italy, with lots of extra parts. So when i found a -78 sport frame with papers on ebay in germany, i could not resist. :-)

So at this point i have one on the road, and rebuiling the second. Still missing some pieces, but Ebay is my Heaven. And of course NLM. But i am enjoying the search, it's a part of the "package" of owning a rare, old Italian bike! :-)
1980 500 Sport
Jump

Greetings

Post by Jump »

Hello all,

My name is Mark and, as of last weekend I am the proud owner of a '83 Kanguro X1.

Never had a Morini before, but admired them for a long time.

This is my first 'classic' bike, and I am slightly daunted, but excited, at the prospect of getting it running again. I bought it from NLM and they told me it was a runner, unfortunately it's not but I am sure I will get it going.

Live on the south coast so hoping to go along to the meet in Emsworth at some point.

Regards,

Mark.
hairyape1

Post by hairyape1 »

Hi there!

Im new to the club, and its only polite to introduce myself! :D

Im 18 years old, currently at uni and a self confessed bike nut!
I first came into contact with morini's when my grandad bought one a 1978 3 1/2 strada. I had never heard of morini's before and was immediatly impressed by the bike!

I passed my bike test as soon as i could after my 17th and bought the bike off my grandad. Iv now been riding the morini for near a year and a half. Done 6000 miles, and ridden daily, and have not been let down yet! All iv needed is a few liters of oil, set of plugs and a new tyre. What more could you want?

I would love to meet some other morini riders in the south east.

Best Wishes to everyone!

Ben
Emmohaswheelsagain

Welcome

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Hi Ben,

Good to see new members, particularly those with youth on their side. It goes to show that Morini's can appeal to all. My son is also looking to start with a Morini's, although his ideal Morini must have wire wheels. Hopefully you can get to some of the meets this year, Cadwell track day is good with many like me just turning up to spectate and have a chance to meet other club members.

Good riding

Paul
hairyape1

Post by hairyape1 »

Hey Paul,

I started with an ss50 at 16, loved the old style. The morini was a kind of natural progression, simliar style and fun to ride.
I hope your son manages to get a morini!
I would love to go along to some of the meets, I have a feeling that im at uni when cadwell is on, but if not I will definitly be coming along! Would be great to meet some other Morini riders, might even have a go on the track

:D

Hopefully see you at one of the meets!

Thanks
Ben
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Hi, I'm Mark from Stevenage in Hertfordshire - home of another legendary V-twin. I've got no dependants except for a Ducati Monster S4, but I'm expecting the imminent arrival of a 1976 drum-braked Strada, which I'm very excited about.

I started biking in my teens in the late 70s,with one of those popular SS50s, progressing to an old D7 Bantam, after which I had a bikeless number of years before buying a tired but loveable X3 Kanguro from an emigrating mate. That made way for a 600 Monster, which in turn led to the S4.

In February this year I spent a fantastic 2 weeks touring southern India on an Enfield Bullet (Blazing Trails Tours - I can't recommend them highly enough), and I realised that there was another, less high-powered and frantic, side of biking that I was missing in England. After much thinking about a suitable classic bike (definitely not an Enfield!), the light bulb flashed on - Morini! One of the ones I lusted after in my youth. So off I went to NLM to have a general chat, and this nice, blue, wire-wheeled Strada caught my eye...

I'll be collecting it in a couple of weeks, so I'm sure I'll be posting a few naive questions here before long. It's refreshing to see so many knowledgeble people on this forum who are clearly concerned about using and enjoying their bikes , rather than worrying purely about originality and concourse condition.

Cheers, Mark.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Mark;

Welcome - you've bought a lovely looking bike, and I hope that you have years of pleasure with it - we all do here!

Don't forget to join the MRC - you've just missed track day, but there are lots of other interesting things to get along to.

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Mark

Welcome to the forum and well done on the purchase. I am only over in Royston so any problems give me a shout and I am more than happy to pop over and help. I have a slightly redesigned Kanguro X1.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Hi Robin - slightly redesigned? I've read about the progress of your Kanguro on the forum with interest and admiration!

Thanks for the offer of help - I may well be in touch in the future!

Cheers, Mark
milos123

Post by milos123 »

Hi to all at MRC. My name is Milos. I live in Slovenia. I have Morini 3 1/2 sport, year 1977, MotoBi Spring Lasting 250 Year 1956, and MZ 150TS 1980. In last few years I visited your site few times an always found useful information. I decided to join the forum bacause I would like to be in contact with other Morini owners and ask some questions to experts if (when) I'll need some information in the future.
Griffo

Post by Griffo »

Hi Moriniists,
I'm from Melbourne. I have owned Morinis for the past 28yrs. I have a '75 3 1/2 strada that I have in bits, maybe I will restore it one day. A '76 3 1/2 sport from which the motor was used in a racer until it lost a rod. The motor has been rebuilt and is sweet and tight. A '82 500 Maestro. The bike was bought as a wreck in 1985. The motor rebuilt, hot cam and was used in the race bike for a few years, now the motor is back in the original frame and is on its was to being back on the road. test rides show the motor make great power and is quick. I also have 2x '73 50cc super scramblers. And like most people I have collected boxes of spares over the years. I love the little superbikes.
cheers,
Adrian (Griffo)
On the road again