Situations Vacant

Club matters
MarkB

Situations Vacant

Post by MarkB »

The club’s Web Editor, John Griffiths, is having to stand down because of other commitments, so first of all, thanks to John for all his work over the last few years. We are now looking for a successor.

The role is essentially to keep the club website up to date, add relevant content (articles, photos, announcements etc.), persuade others to contribute and generally ensure that the website is a good reflection of the MRC and our activities. You don’t need to write the content yourself, but of course you can if you wish. We have our Webmaestro to perform the complicated technical bits, but you’ll need to be comfortable working with on-line media and you’ll have a good eye for layout and design. Salary – sorry, there isn’t one. Benefits – make a visible contribution to the club, get involved with other club members, get satisfaction from a job well done. You will need to be a member of the MRC.

If you’d like to discuss this in more detail, please contact me at chairman [at] morini-riders-club.com or John at web-editor [at] morini-riders-club.com .

Regards, Mark.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
72degrees

Re: Situations Vacant

Post by 72degrees »

The site is a credit to the club and John's hard work.

Having curated the GeN (Gilera Network) web site and forum for the last few years I know how rewarding it can be - but it helps if lots of people contribute ideas and content. Is it done using a content management system that allows multiple contributors? Many hands make light work, so long as there is one editor keeping an eye on overall style and content.

Were it not for also helping with the NHCA timing software and maintain the results archives I'd volunteer. Perhaps it might be possible to deputise people to look after sections of the site (assuming the CMS model I mentioned)?
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

Thanks Pete. There's nothing as formal as a content management system at present, but if someone has experience of them and would like to implement one...
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

MarkB wrote:Thanks Pete. There's nothing as formal as a content management system at present, but if someone has experience of them and would like to implement one...
<Looks at source code for the home page>
No, not a CMS as far as I can see. Changing to one such as Joomla (used for 'The GeN') is a pretty big step, so not recommended unless the new Web Editor and existing Web Maestro are familiar with that approach. It has its advantages (like multiple editors) but also drawbacks. You have to get your head round how the chosen CMS does things, and preserving the look and feel of an existing site isn't always easy. A CMS 'big bang' conversion would take someone with a lot of time to devote to it. Though it could be developed in tandem with the existing site until ready. Then that depends on whether the hosting package has space and supports the MySQL database that such systems are usually based on. Perhaps best stick with the tried and trusted approach.