Round Britain Rally

Where have you been on your Morini? Post your tales of ride outs, great roads, holidays etc here.
Chips1953

Re: Round Britain Rally

Post by Chips1953 »

St Bees,

This one is interesting. There is more than one Bega.

You're going for it Ralph. I need to catch up. It\s interesting that the mileage is so good.

Well done.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

It is brilliant on fuel and the oil stays as clean as when new over the year
it must be very well sealed up on the pistons with very little blow by,
sent you a PM
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Now - a photo of the Strada with the Roman fort on Hardknott Pass in the brilliant sun would be fun!!! Worth a write up in ATG, sounds as if both you and the 'bike are enjoying things (and as for 90+ mpg, brilliant...)

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Morini is going well its done over 500 miles this month. May do a write up but not till the end of the rally as they don't like it if we give too much away, it's 40 years old next year so will be due free road tax, must be one of the cheapest bikes I have ever run, people keep telling me I should restore it but I would rather ride it.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

3 More waypoints today 198 miles round Cumbria Knott End to Ambleside at the top of Windermere, then over the Wrynose and Hardknott passes,
did not see the fort due to low cloud and rain, there was a guy up there on a big Suzuki that stopped while we were looking at the way point, he looked
a little shell shocked, they are fearsome roads not for the faint hearted, the Strada handled it well, due to low cloud and rain speeds were low 1st and 2nd
gear at times some of the hills and hairpins are very rough and the rear will spin, it's surprising how hard it pulls on your arms and puts weight on your wrists
as you go up and down the passes.
On to St Bee's on the coast then inland to Penrith, averaged 60mph for most of that leg, brew at the Lama Rama Cafe then south on the M6 back to
Knott End 198 miles the Enfield that I had for company did dead on 100 mpg dont know what the Strada did yet,
4 waypoints in north Wales next in about 2 weeks.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

The Strada did 97 mpg on the last trip, quite a bit of M-way on the Welsh ones
and 300 mile plus days so am going on the Burgman, then likly back to the Morini
for north Yorks and Scottish Borders.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Ralph wrote:The Strada did 97 mpg on the last trip, quite a bit of M-way on the Welsh ones
and 300 mile plus days so am going on the Burgman, then likly back to the Morini
Just done the borders yesterday, great weather and what wonderful roads, try popping into Selkirk for a coffee and looking up Mungo Park and William Wallace all within 200 yards of each other.
We have been using the Versys and I have been using the Blade when alone. The Corsaro is being Italian at the moment and due to a lack of attention is being obstinate. Well it seems that way.
We are both hooked on the Rally at the moment, you meet the nicest people. (now where have I heard that before?)
Amazing MPG you are getting. By the way yesterday was 232 miles, just for 2 "knock off's".
Attachments
wallace.jpg
wallace.jpg (245.72 KiB) Viewed 27713 times
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Chips1953 wrote:
Ralph wrote:The Strada did 97 mpg on the last trip, quite a bit of M-way on the Welsh ones
Just done the borders yesterday, great weather and what wonderful roads, try popping into Selkirk for a coffee and looking up Mungo Park and William Wallace all within 200 yards of each other.
We have been using the Versys and I have been using the Blade when alone. The Corsaro is being Italian at the moment and due to a lack of attention is being obstinate. Well it seems that way.
We are both hooked on the Rally at the moment, you meet the nicest people. (now where have I heard that before?)
Amazing MPG you are getting. By the way yesterday was 232 miles, just for 2 "knock off's".
From Twiggy on the Dartmouth car ferry, did the north Wales ones 4 on the Burgman the fast roads don't suit the Strada,
as we were running into the one at Holyhead we met a nice couple on yes a Honda, they had just done the one in the park,
you do meet the nicest people. We are showing out age a bit though.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Did some of the western Scottish counties this week.
I found a road, OK I know there are some roads over there, but not like this one.
If you go to Wigtownshire or have been, try the A712. No traffic(during the week) and does it twist and rise and fall. Great scenery.
Getting hooked on the RBR, now. The two Passes were great, only problem was that I took the Blade. 1 in 3 and hairpins are not too good for a sports bike. made it though.
Have you anything interesting to report?
Ralph wrote:3 More waypoints today 198 miles round Cumbria Knott End to Ambleside at the top of Windermere, then over the Wrynose and Hardknott passes,
did not see the fort due to low cloud and rain, there was a guy up there on a big Suzuki that stopped while we were looking at the way point, he looked
a little shell shocked, they are fearsome roads not for the faint hearted, the Strada handled it well, due to low cloud and rain speeds were low 1st and 2nd
gear at times some of the hills and hairpins are very rough and the rear will spin, it's surprising how hard it pulls on your arms and puts weight on your wrists
as you go up and down the passes.
I may come down your neck of the woods this week. A pair of easy ones? I think.

By the way The Wigtown trip was 270 round trip.
Last edited by Chips1953 on 12 Jul 2014 15:08, edited 1 time in total.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Next one's are this Friday 3 in Wales, 98, 93, 37, on the Burgman I think
then it's 3 in Yorkshire likely on the Morini, are you doing the one in Preston?
if so it's a pain to find and they don't like you parking nr the pub so get a pic
and be on your way, you cant miss the fire house at Singleton.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Did 37, 98, 93 yesterday, 300 miles on the Burgman, my mate
turned up on a 800 BMW twin cracking ride called at the Raven Cafe
on the A49 on the way down outside temp hit 28c in Bala
it was like running into a furnace.
The Burgman did well holding on to the BM, though it was flat out
at times and did a bit of wallowing on some of the faster corners
It's going in px for a Yamaha MT-07 soon, the MT is very like the
Strada to ride but with about twice the power and only a few extra
lb in weight, if it arrives soon enough I can run it in on the Scottish
borders ones.

14,50,51, next on the Morini,
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

When doing Hard Knott on the Strada I was leaning on the brakes pretty hard at
times and a bit later could feel a very slight weaving at slow speed, anyway after
a very close inspection today getting ready for 3 in and around North Yorks I found
the problem, the front tyre as given up the unequal struggle and just started to very
sightly delaminate, ordered a set today with any luck they will be here at week end.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Stuck a Metz ME 22 on just waiting to give it chance to go down before fitting
the wheel back, glad I did the fitted Avon though looking ok wile blown up
did not react well to being removed what did impress though was how good
the brake's and bearings were the grease was fine and the bearings like new
after 40 years thats the rear done just waiting for the front to arrive, rear
took 2 days and 6 hours from Germany £43 all in
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Both tyres now fitted test ride tomorrow, wrong address on the front so took a long time to get here,
they feel very soft n sticky compared to the old Avons. going to do 3 more waypoints on the RBR 14,50,51
on Fri 15th for those interested about 230 miles on the Morini round Yorkshire.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Ay up Ralph.
Yarkshire, you get around,I'm still busy with Scotland before the border gets shut in September.
Going back to Brno for the MotoGp next week and taking in Poland and up into Denmark on the way back.
I will be back on the Rally when I get back. I went back to North Berwick and sorted that one the other day and picked off 2 more on the trip.
The funny thing is that it's real fun.
Time is the problem. The grand kids have been up this week.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965