New Zealand High Country

Where have you been on your Morini? Post your tales of ride outs, great roads, holidays etc here.
Chips1953

New Zealand High Country

Post by Chips1953 »

Went to this haven of motorcycling to see my son and grand daughter, best excuse a man can have, and hired a 650 Vstrom. There is a book by Mike Hyde you can find details of here:
http://www.twistingthrottle.com/twistin ... aland.html
I was given a copy of this book by City Motorcycles, the rental company who allow use of their machines on tracks and gravel roads, which I used for 2500 Km out of the main tourist areas.
black forest.jpg
black forest.jpg (84.33 KiB) Viewed 13223 times
This is Lake Benmore viewed from the Black Forest Station track.
I don't want to go on about this as I wasn't using a Morini for this adventure, but at least it was a V Twin.
I asked for another copy of the book for the club library, but I don't think we have one anymore.
If anyone has the chance to go to NZ then try to get on a bike and do some riding.
Thanks for listening.

P.S.
The Vstrom had done 107000 Km, 2006 Model. The company reckons they are as good if not more reliable as any BMW they have used.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Chips1953

Re: New Zealand High Country

Post by Chips1953 »

Of all the things that we saw and did in NZ one is typical of the humour, as described by the next shot I took in Richmond outside Micky D's.
turd1.jpg
turd1.jpg (89.01 KiB) Viewed 13218 times
The registration of the vehicle explains it all, perhaps not that it is delivery vehicle for McD's.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
chirpy999

Post by chirpy999 »

Chips, did you do 90 mile beach? some of those number plates in NZ are quite amusing.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

I stayed in the South Island and did mostly the high country trails in central Otago. I do believe the 90 mile beach is a peach. So any miles so little time.
Back in the UK now so hopefully the weather will allow us all to enjoy our own roads for a while.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
Moto Mark

Post by Moto Mark »

I spent a month riding in New Zealand in late 2011 and I can't tell you what a beautiful place it is.

I know everyone talks about the South Island but I suggest you spend at least the same amount of time in the North Island, especially east and north of Auckland.

Don't know when but I will be going back.
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

Moto Mark wrote:
Don't know when but I will be going back.

Don't blame you for that. It is exceptional. Luckily I have a son there so I will be back, may even stay if I can get the visa through.

The fact is that the roads, lanes, gravel tracks, field tracks are open to all. So whatever your ride the opportunity is there.

Also the Kiwi's are enthusiasts for any form of combustion engine.
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965