Loch Ness - no Morini content

Where have you been on your Morini? Post your tales of ride outs, great roads, holidays etc here.
MickeyMoto

Loch Ness - no Morini content

Post by MickeyMoto »

Last weekend I attended the Highland Classic Motorcycle Club Loch Ness Rally at Inverness. The Laverda club had a gathering for its 70the anniversary. I took along my Laverda 500 and had a very nice ride. What has prompted this is the article in the latest ATG regarding the run from Fort William which also looks very interesting and closer to home. I decided to go the indirect route and booked into a Travelodge in Perth for two nights, although this is over 100 miles from Inverness. I routed via the old A1 and some very empty but very fast A roads to the coast at Sunderland. A trip up the coast to the Tyne Tunnel and then up to Amble for a tour of the Northumberland coast. Don't go, it is is rubbish (he lied to stop it being ruined). From there it was Alnwick and the A1 to Edinburgh and the M90 to Lock Leven and onto Perth. 280 miles. Sunday I took the A9, which was empty but also cold and damp! The event consists of about 100 bikes from early 1900s to 1990s. There were some really nice old bikes. There is then a ride around the Loch for a return to a carvery meal and prize giving. After the event I went the long way home via Grantown on Spey and Braemar. Although it was raining the route from Grantown to Perth is about 100 miles and I had what was probably the best ride I have ever had. Little traffic, wet but clean and grippy roads, with some snow damage in places and glorious views, which would have been stunning in the sunshine. The ride took me over The Lecht and Glen Shee ski areas, where it was a bit chilly. Down Glen Shee, the sun came out and the contrast between grey and the blue and green was marked. Onto Perth for a 300 mile day and a brilliant day out. Monday morning I left early and took the A68 from Edinburgh to Scotch Corner, taking the B road from the A68 to Scotch Corner. These are also brilliant roads if not populated by lorries and caravans and I caught it just right. Just over 4 hours, one stop and 220 miles later I arrived home happy... Anybody fancy it next year? Easily done on a 350.
rossguzzi

Re: Loch Ness - no Morini content

Post by rossguzzi »

Sounds great. I live in Perth........Australia. so probably a bit far for a weekender :D
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

rossguzzi wrote:Sounds great. I live in Perth........Australia. so probably a bit far for a weekender :D
Where's your commitment and sense of adventure? Granted you'd have to take Monday off work! :)
julianharty

Post by julianharty »

What about this July? say around 20th for a day or two? I'd probably be on my 501cc unless I finish tarting up my 3 1/2. I'm thinking about visiting Doune and then going for a ride out along various lochs for a day or two.