Loud Exhaust!

The Cagiva era Morinis
chippit

Loud Exhaust!

Post by chippit »

I have a morini dart that now has an NLM 'Y' piece replacing the rotten collector box, I think the original silencer does not have much left inside it, it sounds lovely but I don't think my neighbours will think so a 6.45am every Sunday through the summer as I set off for work.

Is there a silencer that will make it a bit quieter that will fit inplace of the original without having to alter the bracket?

Regards Christine

P.S part of the problem getting the bike to run was the choke cable, the outer casing was slightly pulled apart so the choke plunger on the end of the cable was not seating, that was why I could not get the mixture right.
morini_tom

Re: Loud Exhaust!

Post by morini_tom »

I cut a dart silencer open and repacked it once (and removed the baffle which was rattling around inside, but on balance my rework made it quieter)

Because the silencer has the two aluminium sleeves you can cut it right in the middle, repack it and then weld it back together without any visible join, but from memory the sleeves were very hard to get off.

The problem with most aftermarket silencers is they tend to be quite long which looks wrong on the dart and also larger diameter which then causes a clash with the swingarm. About the best I found was a carbon can company stubby silencer which looked proportionally good on the dart. It was quite noisy but they do removable baffles for them too. The original Dart silencer mount could be used too. You'd have to check the diameter and location of the inlet as I never fitted mine to the 350, only to the custom pipe I had made for the 501.

This is a pic of my bike with the carbon can company can fitted:

EVguru

Post by EVguru »

I made an empty collector box and in combination with a home made silencer it had a nice deep tone, but was by no means uncivilised.

The silencer was about 100mm diameter (and did clear the swingarm) with a straight through perforated pipe of about 45mm. The sound absorbing material was just a bit of rockwool lagging I had lying around.

The collector box kills quite a bit of the noise energy and you can't beat volume (as in litres) in a silencer.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
alan j

Post by alan j »

Sorry I was out on one of my bikes when you called, Christine!! I've had a "buzz" round on my "Dart", I presume yours is now "perfect?" :? :? :? [not sure how to send a private message]