Chain and sprockets

The Cagiva era Morinis
chippit

Chain and sprockets

Post by chippit »

Hi, Just wondering which rear sprocket you would recommend, 37 or 39.
The dart has been going wonderfully up to the point when one of the oil cooler pipes failed, luckily I noticed before it completely ran out of oil and before I came off! Time to sort out all the other things I need to do to it, timing belt and sort out the carbs to run 112 main jets (thanks for the advice Alex)
One other thing I need to do is find a speedo housing (on the front wheel) the one on it has a crack and is throwing oil/grease over the front wheel. Having trouble locating one, does anyone know if there is another cagiva with the same housing?
Regards Christine.
EVguru

Re: Chain and sprockets

Post by EVguru »

A 37 tooth rear would drop the revs for motorway cruising. I had a 37 tooth on my Dart that had 400 Barrels fitted and it seemed about right on that, but the 39 seemed to suit the stock bike.

The speedo drive is the same as on a Freccia C9/10/12, but they're not exactly common (try ebay.it). It might be possible to adapt one from a Mito/Planet.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
morini_tom

Re: Chain and sprockets

Post by morini_tom »

Hi Christine,

I Should have a spare reasonable speedo drive which I'll dig out for you. It's been a while since I ran a 16" front wheel and I suspect I'll have no use for it in the future. I'm only across in Northampton so give me a shout if you'd like it.

I've always run 39 sprockets on my darts but to be honest its not something I've played about with.

Nightmare about the oil pipes. They do have a reputation for fretting on the engine cases and wearing through the braiding. I had a new set made for my bike (can't remember where, one of the many places who do braided pipes) but they had to reuse the fittings from the dart pipes as apparently they were a non standard size. While you're doing the pipes it's worth taking the oil cooler off and flushing it out properly- there's no telling what crap the cooler has trapped over the years

Tom