tacho stopped working

The Cagiva era Morinis
chippit

tacho stopped working

Post by chippit »

Hi, The tacho has not been reading properly the last couple of times I have taken the dart out and now it has stopped working. I have checked the cable and that seems fine, any ideas?
Thanks Christine
morini_tom

Re: tacho stopped working

Post by morini_tom »

The usual suspect is the 90 degree drive on the camshaft cover. The square edges on the drive peg which goes into the camshaft end round off.

If you unscrew the cover (2 Phillips screws) and unscrew the tacho cable from the 90 degree drive you can check the operation of the 90 degree drive by rotating the drive peg. The peg should be retained by the drive, sometimes they wear inside and drop out. If the drive works ok and the peg looks worn in only one place then you might be able to shim the drive underneath the retaining nut to move the peg contact point. If the peg is badly worn I imagine you could repair it with some metal epoxy and a file...

If you're really lucky it could also be that the tacho drive adaptor which is screwed into the camshaft end is loose.

I've never heard of the tacho itself failing which is good as I imagine they are hard to come by, whereas the cables and 90 degree drives are available.
chippit

Post by chippit »

Thanks Tom, I will have a look later.
Regards Christine
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

morini_tom wrote:I've never heard of the tacho itself failing which is good as I imagine they are hard to come by, whereas the cables and 90 degree drives are available.
I thought it was the other way round!

I've probably got a spare tach on the shelf (Freccia C9, just missing the MotoMorini logo), but I thought the cable drives were in short supply.

On one of my Darts, it was the nut on the end of the camshaft that was faulty. Instead of a square hole in the end, it had a perfectly round one. Not worn, but like it had been made that way!
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
chippit

Post by chippit »

I have undone the 2 philips screws and removed the cover. The square end of the pin which fits into the 90 degree drive seems to be damaged, maybe a bit too short. Everything else seems to work.

Thanks Christine.