Fairing screws

The Cagiva era Morinis
nickst4

Fairing screws

Post by nickst4 »

I mentioned elsewhere that I've never been able to find replacements for the wide flat mushroom-head socket screws used by so many (Italian) bike makers. Little button-heads, flange-heads and widish slot-heads yes, but nothing the same as OEM on Morini, Cagiva or Ducati. I found a source last night though; ProBolt do a nice somewhat-conical stainless version at £2 each and titanium at £4. Needless to say, I'm still looking!!

Any hints on economic supply would be welcome, and I'd consider plated screws 'cos the Dart would look better with white ones, I think.

Nick, Norfolk
MickeyMoto

Re: Fairing screws

Post by MickeyMoto »

nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Perfect! But at £2+ each?

Now I have to ask myself if £30 or thereabouts is too much to spend on a handful of screws...

Nick
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

You can buy packs of countersink head stainless screws pretty cheap. If you know someone with a lathe, you could get them to knock up a batch of countersunk washers in stainless or plastic in the colour of your choice.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi,

I think the point is for fairing screws they are £2 each. You could try something like this:

http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A2_ ... lg_M5.html for 10p each, but in my opinion do not look right. I would also check the pitch, too.

You can buy countersunk Allen screws again for 10p and the washers are about 55p....

How original do you want to be?

Mike.
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

nickst4 wrote:
Perfect! But at £2+ each?

Now I have to ask myself if £30 or thereabouts is too much to spend on a handful of screws...

Nick
OK, I have to backtrack on that response: those screws all claim to have 11mm OD heads, both in M5 and M6 size. If this is true, then they would be a massive waste of money. My current count is 28 screws needed, ideally in three different lengths, so more like £60! And they'd have heads nothing like the 16mm ones of the originals. I've seen posted pics of ProBolt fairing screws fitted to a Ducati and surprise, surprise; there's a halo all round, suggesting their bolts don't have the right diameter head either.

It's not so much originality I'm after. Rather, a low-profile smooth bolthead that engages well with the material beneath and spreads the load. In other words, exactly like the originals!

All good fun...

Nick
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I have the same problem with a Laverda RGS. A screw fell out and the repalcement is not the same, so I have had to hide it. I think the Italian fairing screw factory went bust in 1993!
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

MickeyMoto wrote:http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/A2_ ... lg_M5.html for 10p each, but in my opinion do not look right. Mike.
Hi Mike,

Those Westfield ones are the common flange-head type, and I agree they look odd. Even ProBolt's expensive fairing screws are only 12mm heads.

So far, the only wide (15mm) low mushroom head screws available anywhere are the cheap-as-chips slot-heads that I've used on the Dukes previously, so that's the route I'll go. I drill a 2mm pilot hole in the centre of the slot and that is engaged by a little peg fitted to a special wide screwdriver blade, all to keep the screwdriver engaged so it helps in spinning them off.

I just thought that with a new bike wiv lots of big fairing screws, I'd track down some identical replacements.

Not so easy... :cry:

Nick
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

I think I had the last one from NLM a couple of years back.....

Maybe an opportunity for some enterprising garage machinist to knock up a few and make a few groats?