Choke

The Cagiva era Morinis
nickst4

Choke

Post by nickst4 »

Do tell me if I get boring, or just ignore me!

I've had a look through past posts, and can't see anything relating to choke operation. Andy advised me that only one carb/pot has a choke enrichment facility, but under the tank I find the choke cable is twinned and there is a nice plunger and spring all wrapped up, ready to fit to the other carb! Is there some logic to only having one pot fire from cold? Wouldn't it be better to fit both up, or is the internal jetting not present in the carb that has an inoperative plastic lever on the side?

Nick
morini_tom

Re: Choke

Post by morini_tom »

As standard the dart does indeed only choke one cylinder (front I recall) I don't know if this was simply to save cost, but in my experience the dart never had any starting issues that would suggest 2 chokes were needed.

The plastic lever should operate (it's what's fitted to the other morini with no handlebar choke), and I've never known any carbs to not have the choke passage. You might find that on a very cold day you can just get your hand to the lever through the bodywork to help starting (not that you'd need to if you fitted the twin pull choke)

If you asked owners of 'normal' morini (by which I mean all the air cooled 350 except the dart) I think you'll find most people use only one choke anyway, or at most use two to start and then flip one off once it's running.

On my 501 dart I had to return to twin choke as it was a pig to start, and the routing of the twin choke and twin throttles under the tank is less than ideal...
EVguru

Re: Choke

Post by EVguru »

On my 350 Sport I usually only use the choke on the rear cylinder. Fast idle is then about 4000 rpm. Using both at once is more like 6000rpm which is a bit much! If it's cold, I'll alternate between the two choke levers, but the best thing is to ride away.

If the bike has sat for some time, then the idle jets can bet a bit gummed up. It will usually clear after a ride, but I might need both chokes on to get the bike started. I seem to recall the standard Dart choke runs to the rear cylinder, but there is a standard lever on the front carb. It's not too difficult to reach in through the duct and flip up that lever.

It sounds like someone has added control of the second choke, but then found it too much.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru