Chain adjustor plate

The Cagiva era Morinis
nickst4

Chain adjustor plate

Post by nickst4 »

I'll post under bits wanted too, but wondered if anyone has a spare chain-adjustor plate? Just the alloy plate that closes the swingarm tubing and has the little Cagiva elephant on it.
NLM said they had some, but sent me a rather clunky pattern item. I can make something neater than that myself, but thought I'd ask if anyone had a spare OEM one....

Cheers,

Nick
EVguru

Re: Chain adjustor plate

Post by EVguru »

It's possible. I've got a bunch of Freccia stuff, but it's all up in the loft of the workshop.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Hi Nick,

I don't have any and if Paul doesn't either then have a look at item 320809933469 currently on eBay.

I wasn't aware the W16 had any common parts with the freccia (dart) but it's not unreasonable to think there would be some common cycle parts. The chain adjuster listed on eBay certainly looks identical to the dart one so might be worth a shot

Tom
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

morini_tom wrote:Hi Nick,

I don't have any and if Paul doesn't either then have a look at item 320809933469 currently on eBay.

I wasn't aware the W16 had any common parts with the freccia (dart) but it's not unreasonable to think there would be some common cycle parts. The chain adjuster listed on eBay certainly looks identical to the dart one so might be worth a shot

Tom
Magic Man! :D

That looks so identical, I couldn't resist bagging one of the two units on offer. And for a tad less than the pattern cap NLM sent, I get a spare internal spindle block too! Buying both seemed greedy, and there's a lot more money needs spending on my Dart.

By the way, having been familiar with this pattern of adjustor on Ducatis, I'm going to locktite a long stainless M8 mushroom-head bolt in the spindle block and have a nyloc nut running down the thread. OK, so it'll stick out and won't be as tidy as the OEM solution but it prevents the overtightening vs coming loose/cracking of the plate scenario. I have the bolt-head, end cap and swingarm all wired together on the ST4, where the ample torque can cause much grief if the chain adjustor loosens....

Bottom line is that you can find something else to do this w/e Paul, instead of rummaging through old stuff! Thanks for your response though, and if the W16 unit is not the same I'll be calling back. By the way, I should have had the sense to look at my Cagiva Canyon* to perhaps widen my search parameters, but I panicked! :lol:

Cheers,

Nick

* Not the same; I'm sure I would have noticed the logo if it had been there...
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

OK, to wrap this up; the chain adjustors on the Cagiva w16 600cc trail bike are identical to those on the Dart and presumably Freccia. The s/h one came this morning, so all I have to do is return NLM's pattern block and decide on the adjusting bolt configuration.

Job done, thanks for the help! :D

Nick
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Since one of the plates on my Dart consisted of a nasty bit of angle-alloy, it's obvious that a PO either overtightened the bolt, smashing the plate, or had it come loose and back right out, letting the plate go free. This fault is common to many Ducatis, and the worst-case scenario is that the plate twists and locks against the sprocket, damaging a whole string of bits quite apart from causing the rider problems! On my ST4, I've wired the bolts to the plate and the arm, so I've done almost the same with the Dart.

I replaced the adjusting bolt with a long (80mm approx) stainless mushroom-head cap screw that, unlike many available bolts/screws, is threaded all the way. To raise the head out of the rebate in the hole, I turned some little spacers in brass, and the head of the screw needed a tricky bit of drilling for the wire. The plate was drilled at the point where it is cut away underneath for drainage, which just about allows a thin wiring-wire to got through it. In this case, I didn't drill the newly-powder-coated arm as if the screw can't come undone, the plate can't come free!

The screw I chose has a 5mm hex socket in it, so cannot be tightened as much as the original, but this can only be a good thing so long as it doesn't work free. Ultimately it's the wheel-spindle nuts that should be holding the wheel, and we're not talking mega-torque with this motor...

Nick
Attachments
P1020849 Dart chain adjustor small.JPG
P1020849 Dart chain adjustor small.JPG (241.24 KiB) Viewed 12994 times
mantaray

Post by mantaray »

Did the same job on my ST2 , so we both love duc's morini's and darts.