Dart finally makes it to USA-Need wiring diagram

The Cagiva era Morinis
dr j

Dart finally makes it to USA-Need wiring diagram

Post by dr j »

Hello MRC,
My name is Jarl and I finally was able to get my 1990 Dart 350 across the pond into the states thanks to major help from the seller Paul Compton (EVGuru) and his friend Roy. I had to have Roy and Paul disassemble it and ship the engine 1st then the chassis but without all the "safety restricted non-certified" parts like wheels, brake lines, and lights. Luckily I was able to get those parts that look "identical" from a "1987 Cagiva Freccia" which meets the 25 yr old exclusion for US Dept of Transportation rules. Now reassembled in my shop but I expected issues and first ones are:
1. Turn the key with new battery and 15A fuse blew. What circuits does the 15 A fuse control vs the other 25 A fuse? Any other hidden fuses on the bike? Anyone have a Wiring Diagram (like Morini Tom)? I unplugged various connectors then put in new fuse and turned key and did not blow. But then I replugged in connectors and still did not blow the fuse but nothing is active. I will go out tonight and start tracing wires from battery but a diagram would sure help.

2. I do have a Dart Spare Parts catalog thanks to Paul but no Owners Manual. Anyone have pdf file for that?

3. Where does the black plastic tool tray fit? I assumed under the seat but no attachments and weird shape.

I am totally stoked to have this bike here now. Can't wait to hear it fire up.
Jarl
1985 Morini 350 K2
1990 Morini Dart 350
Moto Madcap
Hagerstown Maryland USA
Bonneville Land Speed Racing: BUB 2012- four 350cc Modified Pushrod class records (best is 97.961mph)
and BUB2013-four 350cc Altered Pushrod class records (best is 98.319mph)
dr j

Re: Dart finally makes it to USA-Need wiring diagram

Post by dr j »

Well I found the short tonight. Just replaced the fuse with a 15A ATC circuit breaker then used a test light and started wiggling wires until the circuit breaker started activating again when I turned the key. Then started unplugging things until it stopped. It was a wire to the kill switch on the throttle housing. I pinched it against the handlebar when installing the throttle. So electrics now seem to work fine though I would still really like to get a wiring diagram. I will put it back together tomorrow and try to start it. Compression is 160 and 165.
Jarl
1985 Morini 350 K2
1990 Morini Dart 350
Moto Madcap
Hagerstown Maryland USA
Bonneville Land Speed Racing: BUB 2012- four 350cc Modified Pushrod class records (best is 97.961mph)
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi,

PM sent.

Mike.
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

dr j wrote:Hello MRC,
My name is Jarl and I finally was able to get my 1990 Dart 350 across the pond into the states thanks to major help from the seller Paul Compton (EVGuru) and his friend Roy. I had to have Roy and Paul disassemble it and ship the engine 1st then the chassis but without all the "safety restricted non-certified" parts like wheels, brake lines, and lights. .
Wow, that was a major effort. Congratulations on your committment! I've seen very positive reviews of the Dart on US bike sites so I assumed they reached there in the day, but I guess they would be even rarer than in the UK, and they are few and far between here.

Good luck with the rebuild. I noticed a Freccia up for spares/repair here recently had quite different wheels from the Dart, but there were several Freccia versions I think.

Nick, newbie Dart owner, yet to ride one but looking forward to it! :D
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Jarl (and Paul & Roy for that matter)

Congratulations on getting it into the US. You should find it a joy.

Pm me your email address if you still need a wiring diagram.

The tool tray sits atop the fuel tank and is held in place by the filler cap at the rear and a rubber strap at the front.

The wheels are the same as the C12 freccia whereas the bodywork shares most in common with C9.

Keep us all updated,
Tom
dr j

Post by dr j »

The Dart is alive!! As I said I found the short. Tried to start engine and turned over but no firing. So having already read most of the dart posts in this forum I remembered some people mentioning that the petcock tends to get clogged. So first I tested its electrics and the valve was fine, so then I cleaned the filter. Fuel flowed fine from the open petcock but nothing through the fuel line so indeed I found a clog in the middle of the hose to Left carb. Cleaned with carb cleaner and air, reattached and fired the engine right up. Sweet sound. Throttle not working but runs great at 3-4000. Now some answers and thanks-
1. Mike- I did not receive your PM.
2. Nick- It was a challenge to import unless I wanted to wait 3 more years. then the 1990 model becomes 25 yrs old which is the magic number where the bike is totally exempt from importation restrictions to USA. When I bought this bike from Paul Compton I thought the number was 20 yrs. As for the wheels, the US Customs was happy with my explanation of origin.....I do not know of any other Darts in US but could be. I just hear of 3 1/2s.
3. Tom- Thanks for the wiring diagram and key. I am sure it will come in handy. Also now that I put the tool tray on the tank irt seems very obvious but that is the problem with receiving a bike in pieces and never having seen one intact.

New Questions-
1. How does the instrument cluster attach to the metal windshield support? I see three pads for it to sit on but nothing actually holding it there but gravity?
2. What is the correct routing of the throttle cable?
3. Any one have a source for the tank straps? What about the oil cooler braided lines?

To do list- Repair fairings ( Left rear, and windscreen), tank straps, chain, brake lines and bleed, fix rear brake light switch, fix stripped #2 cyl rocker cover bolthole, hand grips, oil cooler lines (or cover with shrink wrap), wheel bearings, throttle cable, balance carbs, fork seals, new paint scheme. I also have to raise the front fender 1/2" to accomodate the only V rated 16" tire available- Avon Roadrider 11/90 V16. I already but spacers under the fork brace. The tire just barely fit but not enough clearance for tire expansion at speed. I am dreading my trip to the DMV (Dept of Motor Vehicles) to try to get a title of ownership on this bike and then later get it licensed for the street when it is ready.

I will continue to update as I meet some goals. Thanks.
Jarl
1985 Morini 350 K2
1990 Morini Dart 350
Moto Madcap
Hagerstown Maryland USA