More airbox mods!

The Cagiva era Morinis
nickst4

More airbox mods!

Post by nickst4 »

Apart from the de-restriction of the filter itself, as described in ATG, I've fabricated an alternative support for the rear of the airbox. The reason is so that the dodgy bolt connection into the tank is no longer needed, and I'll hopefully be able to seal the little crack just visible below the bolt-hole without the added stress and movement of the airbox hanging from it.

I've kept the original stirrup over the back of the filter box with its rubber buffer support at the other end but, with heat and hammer, I've simply reversed the fixing tab downwards. Then, taking a cue from the tank/seat support that clamps around the frame tube without potentially weakening it, I've made a stainless bracket that reaches upward to the fixing tab. There appears to be plenty of room in this position, and I've left the stainless bracket long in case I feel a second fixing bolt is needed, but it seems unlikely. Next job is to fit the new breather inlet, alter the carb fuel inlets for a smoother flow to both and experiment with main jets!

Nick
Attachments
Stainless bracket for air filter, Cracked petrol tank boss above...
Stainless bracket for air filter, Cracked petrol tank boss above...
P1020819 Dart air filter support small.JPG (252.75 KiB) Viewed 7353 times
nickst4

Re: More airbox mods!

Post by nickst4 »

Just to complete the breather mods, here's a pic of the big feed from the collector-box going to the flat side of the forward air-box chamber. Fed into the intake in this position, any oil vapour that gets past the baffles in the tube won't contaminate the filter and should be shared by both inlets. Blue seemed the most appropriate/least garish colour of 16mm silicone 'vacuum' hose available, and it fits nicely over the stub and over the tinned-copper plumbing elbow that is a pushfit in the grommet in the airbox.

Since the little blue pipes from the carbs act both as breathers and overflow (ask me how how I know this!), I am running them down to below the engine, rather than upwards to the airbox as per original.

Also visible is the new Y-piece (from a Cagiva Canyon) that splits the feed of fuel into the carbs in a less-contorted fashion than previously, courtesy of one straight carb connector and one angled one.

Finally, a mod that had been made by a previous owner is the white plastic dry-split disconnector in the pipe from the tank. Jolly convenient!

PS The corrosion all over the frame is quite upsetting, but can wait until later. I've powder-coated the swingarm and rebuilt the bearings/linkage so at least that looks nice...
Attachments
Breathers and fuel supply
Breathers and fuel supply
P1020825 Dart breather small.JPG (236.35 KiB) Viewed 7327 times
mantaray

Re: More airbox mods!

Post by mantaray »

nice mod