Dart ignition switch playing up

The Cagiva era Morinis
chippit

Dart ignition switch playing up

Post by chippit »

Has anyone taken an ignition switch apart, not sure how to get it apart.

I have managed to spray some electrical contact cleaner into it and have got the bike started but not sure how long it will last.

Regards Christine
morini_tom

Re: Dart ignition switch playing up

Post by morini_tom »

They don't come apart easily but from Memory you can prize off the plastic cover on the bottom to get to the contacts. Difficult to do without damaging the cover but it can be done and may buy you some time.

Alternatively you can get a new replacement ignition switch from an MV agusta dealer. It's a ZADI lock, MV part number 800068397. On the lock is stamped Q637 which may be the ZADI part number.

The MV lock isn't an exact replacement, the barrel is a bit shorter and you have to cable tie the wires up so they don't foul the instrument panel subframe, but the wiring, connector, mount points and steering lock are all ok for the dart out the box. You even get a cagiva elephant on the key!!

Failing that I may have a second hand lock somewhere although it would most likely be as worn as yours! Happy to have a look if you want.

Tom
EVguru

Post by EVguru »

The electric Freccia I built had an alternative lock fitted that was perfect except for the mounting holes. When I got the donor it was using just one bolt, but fitted properly once both holes had been elongated slightly. It might have been a Mito lock.
Paul Compton
http://www.morini-mania.co.uk
http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru
chippit

Post by chippit »

If you do have a spare second hand ignition switch I would be very interested,

Regards Christine
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Hi Christine,

I've just been and had a look in the garage- I've got two of the original sipea ignition barrels, both well used, and have had the bottoms off in the past, which probably means they were beginning to get 'iffy'. I definitely changed ignition barrels on a couple of my darts, but can't remember if I changed them when they stopped working altogether or just got temperamental. I know for a few weeks I had my dart hotwired until I got a replacement, so one is almost certainly non functional.

I've also got one of the Zadi ignition barrels which is used, but only for a couple of years. I can't remember why I replaced it, as it is exactly the same part as I have on my dart now. The wires on the bottom have rubbed on the subframe (not through the insulation) so I think I probably just got fussy when I did the ground up rebuild and put a shiny new one on. I certainly don't remember it ever not working.

You're welcome to have one of them (the zadi is probably the most reliable bet)

Tom
chippit

Post by chippit »

Thanks Tom PM sent
Regards Christine