Dart with small oil leak

The Cagiva era Morinis
chippit

Dart with small oil leak

Post by chippit »

Hi,
I seem to have a small oil leak (one or two drips on the ground when the bike is parked) it must be getting onto the exhaust because there is smoke and the smell of burning oil when the engine has been running. having cleaned the old oil and grease off the engine it is again wet, I know the oil seal from the gearbox output shaft (behind the clutch) needs changing although the clutch is not slipping......yet. Is there anywhere else that causes a problem? Also how difficult is it to change the seal?

What engine oil does anyone recommend for a 350 dart?

Regards Christine
morini_tom

Re: Dart with small oil leak

Post by morini_tom »

Hi Christine,

Darts are prone to leaks from the braided oil cooler lines. They can rub and fray on the engine, bodywork or eachother, which is reasonably easy to spot, but can also split internally and then ooze out of an otherwise ok looking hose.

They are not easily available as the banjo fittings and the oil cooler fittings are seemingly not a very standard size.

However you can get them overhauled with new braided hose if the fittings are OK to reuse. NLM could advise on this, or a good supplier of hydraulic hoses etc.

I've known the threads on the oil cooler to be in very poor condition (over tightening of the steel nut on the alloy cooler I expect) so be careful there.

No other common leak sources if it's not been apart.

Seal behind the clutch is pretty easy. You'll need a clutch holding took it other than that it's a few Allen bolts and the big centre nut, and then you can get to the seals. Hylomar on the central shaft splines when reassembling as per the blue book.

Cagiva era workshop manual is on the members area of the website.

Oil wise, I use rock oil TRM in my 501 dart but that may be expensive overkill.
chippit

Re: Dart with small oil leak

Post by chippit »

Thankyou Tom,

I have already changed the oil cooler pipes having had one fail, my foot slipped off the the gear change one day, oil everywhere inc. covering the back tyre, I was lucky and not enough lost to do any damage to the engine. NLM supplied new braided hoses. I will check all those fittings.

More investigation needed

Regards Christine