New Dart fuel tanks

The Cagiva era Morinis
morini_tom

New Dart fuel tanks

Post by morini_tom »

The MRC is currently exploring the possibility of having some new Dart fuel tanks made, as I am sure you are aware the original plastic tanks are unavailable and many are now developing leaks.

We have been in discussion with a company whose normal day job sees them making high quality parts for classic British sports cars. Fortunately their manufacturing director is a Morini Club member and along with myself, has invested some time in seeking a solution to the Dart tank shortage.

We are close to finalising a specification, but essentially the tank would be fabricated from aluminium, and following the form of the original tank as closely as is practicable. A flange for the original fuel tap would be incorporated but additionally we will include an extra boss so that a more readily available fuel level sender can be fitted, as these are one of the dart's weak points.

For the project to work, we need to secure orders for a single batch of around 20 tanks priced at approximately £440 (plus postage & packing). We would seek a deposit of £100 per tank, solely to ensure that any losses incurred through cancellation are restricted to some small degree & also to ensure that any orders taken are serious in intent.

This project's objective is to keep Morinis on the road, so we seek only to ensure the costs incurred are covered by the price of the product.

At this stage I'm just spreading the word to dart owners, we don't yet have a fully fixed price or specification, as that will depend partly on the feedback from this email.

Our intention is to have a specification, order numbers & prices completely confirmed by Christmas, for fuel tank deliveries during April.

Please let me know if you are interested in this, and of course, please spread the word among dart owners you may know.

Kind Regards,
Tom Farrow
(Morini Riders Club)
webmaestro@morini-riders-club.com
Jammu

Re: New Dart fuel tanks

Post by Jammu »

Hi,

I'm interested to buy original fuel tank, even a leaking one. My Dart don't have fuel tank at all. My target is to get my Dart to museum register in the future and it that case modifications are not allowed (that's how it is in Finland). I have seen the original tank only in pictures and it seems to be HDPE in my eyes. In that case it is easy to weld.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Thanks to everybody who has contacted me to express their wish for one of the new aluminium fuel tanks.

We are now over half way to the required number to make this project viable.

However, we cannot commence tooling manufacture until we have sufficient orders, so if you are undecided, then now is the time to let me know.

Just to reiterate, this really is a one-time opportunity, and the end product is going to be far in excess of the quality of anything else we could source elsewhere. The chance of revisiting this in 6 months or a years time and arriving at the same product and cost is almost zero.

Thanks,
Tom
chippit

Post by chippit »

Hi Tom,

Roughly what would the cost be? I bought probably the last dart tank to come out of NLM but know it has a limited life span.
Regards Christine
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Hi Christine,

The dart tanks are £440 plus postage (although you're local so I'm sure we can deliver!)

Sounds like a lot of money until you consider how much work and tooling cost needs to go into them. And then when you see what a new fuel tank would cost for any currently in production bike from the factory. Many many favours have been called in to make this even remotely viable.

I'm really excited about this opportunity and the chance to put to bed the darts biggest Achilles heel.

Ignoring the safety aspect, I don't like the idea of leaking fuel damaging the bodywork (just look at how many darts have cracked/discoloured/brittle plastic at the bottom left hand fairing bolt location.)

We are only a few orders away from making this viable now...

Let me know if you can be tempted.

Regards, and merry Christmas,
Tom
Brubru

Post by Brubru »

Hi Tom,

I have transferred the info to the French Morini Passion club. There might be some people interested there too.

Bruno
The fastest touring rack east of the Channel
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Tom;

Having got my '91 Dart back on the road last year, I would definitely want one of these replacement tanks, even though my original appears to have some life left in it at present. The bike is just so much better more civilised, comfortable and with better road-holding than the Sport - it has to be a "keeper", even though I did briefly move to the dark side and swap it for a Corsaro back in 2006!

When the day comes it will be strong contender for being the last Morini I have, although the Strada might win if I develop really aching joints... So thinking long term, all strategies to keep the bike road-worthy have to be taken - and thanks to everyone for putting this opportunity together.

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
mhsilverw

Post by mhsilverw »

Did the new metal Dart tanks appear?
Just curious.
Loved the Dart but last one I had leaked and now sort of worried about ethanol on the original tank.
M
MarkB

Post by MarkB »

A prototype's being trialled at the moment, Mark.
"I'll have a V please, Bob."
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Just reopening this thread to put the feelers out...

We did a batch of around 15 aluminium tanks in 2018 on a pre-order basis. The project was not straightforward for us but we were keen to keep keep darts on the road. The tanks were £475 each at that point in time.

Every so often we get enquiries as to whether we have any tanks left (which we don’t sadly, but we do still own the press tooling we funded)

I have just had another such request.

So...

If anyone wants an aluminium dart tank, please reply below and if there is sufficient interest we will look into the practicality of another batch.

No guarantee we can do any more, or what cost or timescale, but just trying to establish if there is more demand

Attached picture is some of the last batch- so you can see what was created
Attachments
54BF3C25-4F35-43BE-AB52-BF0C4D696D3B.jpeg
54BF3C25-4F35-43BE-AB52-BF0C4D696D3B.jpeg (80 KiB) Viewed 9954 times
nickst4

Post by nickst4 »

Even if the plastic tanks don't spring a leak, maybe from the air-filter bushing like mine did, they may eventually decompose from alcohol and subsequently block the idle jets. I've had that on several old Cagiva bikes, to which the Darts are related of course. A spiffing alloy tank would be nice if I still had the bike, but a much cheaper option is to line the old one with an epoxy such as Caswell's product. If you use the whole pack, the lining is thick enough to become a tank within a tank and prevents the annual carb-cleaning chore.

Just my two-pennyworth...

Nick
Jammu

Post by Jammu »

Hi,

I would like to buy a plastic tank. So, if you have bought the aluminium tank, would you sell the leaking plastic tank?
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

I’ve got a couple of leaky plastic ones. I’ll dig them out this evening and send you some photos

Tom
Jammu

Post by Jammu »

Hi, Yes, I am interested of them. Please, sen the photos and lets negotiate of the price.
morini_tom

Post by morini_tom »

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I’ve just emailed you some photos.

Best regards,
Tom