Fuel tap washers

The Cagiva era Morinis
SupermotoDave

Fuel tap washers

Post by SupermotoDave »

Does anyone know a source for new petrol proof fuel tap washers?
16mm od 10?mm id and about 1-1.5mm thick, rectangular section.
I have tried using a 16mm O ring and it was too thick, and when I shaved it with a razor to fit the petrol caused it to swell and distort the joint and cause a leak anyway.
Blue hylomar lasted about a month before the petrol ate its way through and the leak started again.
Because the tank is plastic you cannot do the bolts up extra tight as everything just distorts.
morini_tom

Re: Fuel tap washers

Post by morini_tom »

I've never actually found a suitable replacement.

Check your tap flange is perfectly flat. What often happens is they get overtightened or assembled with too thick a washer and the flange distorts, after which it will never seal properly. I had a flange machined in brass, which is better than the standard monkey metal.

I think the guzzi fuel tap washer might work though from the fuel injected bikes which use a similar fuel tap (not interchangeable with the darts though as the FI guzzi use a much larger diameter fuel pipe)

Part number TAA90103!-worth a try.

Available at guzzibits http://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheShop/i ... d+Fittings

Of course, the aluminium club tanks will be less prone to leaking here owing to a stronger flange (and we could consider a deeper groove to take a standard o ring, but we need to discuss that at the tooling stage.) still a few orders away from making the club tank viable though.