weather in Scotland?

Park up, come in and have an espresso. Chat about anything but please keep it clean and not too offensive.
hombre

weather in Scotland?

Post by hombre »

Hi neighbours,

Strange question maybe, but what's the weather in Scotland like end of february? I might be over for a week with some other Dutch Morinisti in the area around Stirling.
I've been there two years ago in november and it was very wet, but we've seen a lot of rainbows. :D

TIA,
Hans
John Bunting

Re: weather in Scotland?

Post by John Bunting »

Hans,
Go south were the sun shines.
john
enfie

Post by enfie »

Hi Hans,

I live close to Stirling and at the moment is snowing heavily! February is usually wet, windy and cold! However you could be lucky and see a wee bit sun. Nice part of Scotland and plenty of places to visit close by. Are you coming over on your bikes?

Slainthe, Enfie.
hombre

Post by hombre »

John Bunting wrote:Hans,
Go south were the sun shines.
john
Any suggestions? :wink:
enfie wrote:I live close to Stirling and at the moment is snowing heavily! February is usually wet, windy and cold! However you could be lucky and see a wee bit sun. Nice part of Scotland and plenty of places to visit close by. Are you coming over on your bikes?
Wet, windy and cold. So a bit like november... Some friends have planned a trip on mostly classic bikes (a few 3 1/2's too) and asked me to come too. Sounds like a good idea, so I was just wondering, but it looks like the climate isn't much different from over here. We'll probably cross over to Newcaste and drive up north from there.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Hans;

Not that it's that much warmer or drier in March, but there is the Scottish M/C Show which has a big Classic element, and the MRC hopes to have a stand there...

:)

Good riding!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
hombre

Post by hombre »

Thanks, but the date is already confirmed. Even though it might be nice to meet up with some of you if you are in the area around that time.
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

I've been to Scotland on a bike twice,once on a T160 when we did a tour of England and Scotland,using the "Good Beer Guide". In summer.It rained every day except one when camping on the Isle of Skye.Then we were bitten to death by midges.The other time I was on a T140(when will I learn).In April.It took 90 minutes to get from Carlisle to Glasgow on the way up and 9 hours on the way back.Very heavy snow.The service station had burned down.Worse, it had gone out.
Very beautiful countryside if you can see it.Especially the West coast.You may see the sun, skulking about near the horizon.
hombre

Post by hombre »

Well, the 3 1/2 is ready-to-go. If yo see a small group of old bikes riding with 3 3 1/2's it's probably us.
We'll be parting tomorrow and arrive mondaymorning in Newcastle. From there on we'll go to the Gargunnock house (near Stirling) for 4 or 5 days and from there on we'll move around til the boat returns on the 2nd. I am glad the weather has changed a bit (why did i say yes to this trip? :? )
John Bunting

Post by John Bunting »

Hombre,
You are mad but you have my admiration.
John
3potjohn

Post by 3potjohn »

Well I just checked on weatherunderground to see what they were encountering.How does -12 on Tuesday night grab you?
http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/03144.html
John Bunting

Post by John Bunting »

Brrrr -12 is not healthy, my early Sunday morning ride is to escape the 40 degree in the shade at midday, out by 7.00 and be back by 10.00 have a coffee and do a little fettling on a bike in the shade, the problem here in Kano is to find protection without getting too hot, MotoX armor works the best I have found so far and as most my riding is off road looks the part.
John
alan j

Post by alan j »

It's been a bad winter so far in the "good old U.K.!-but I have managed almost a 1000 miles since Xmas on various bikes! A "baby suit" and heated grips have really helped-but an hour and a half riding and a stop to warm up in a garage or cafe stops the cold getting into your core. ! 8) 8)
hombre

Post by hombre »

Well, we have survived so far, it's been cold, but today riding was good eventhough theres a lot of rubble on the road, we're in yorkshire now because scotland was obviously impossible to ride. Pics etc shall follow asap... :mrgreen:
alan j

Post by alan j »

Rubble on the roads? round here it is mostly "potholes!!" Anyway , summer is nearly here, as the temp. climbed to 8 degrees! Roll on spring! :roll: :roll:
Brubru

Post by Brubru »

Lucky man! Here in Belgium it was snowing again this morning... Not much, but enough to feel it's not yet spring.

Bruno
The fastest touring rack east of the Channel