20 MPH Limits

Park up, come in and have an espresso. Chat about anything but please keep it clean and not too offensive.
Ralph

20 MPH Limits

Post by Ralph »

I have started a E-Petition re 20 MPH speed limits, basically councils have started using the 20 MPH limits on main roads into villages and towns round here, no one as any problem with a 20 limit round the estates and side roads but we have to drive or ride 2 miles at 20 on the main road to get out of the village, but anyone trying it is subject to tailgating and sometimes road rage, other road users just pull out or loose concentration, one bike rider as been killed I have been rear ended and judging by the amount of glass and plastic about others are suffering the same thing.
Other Villages and Towns are going the same way and a 12 mile ride to the next town now as 4 miles each way at 20 and if the Village half way goes the same way it could be 6 so half a 12 mile trip could be at 20 MPH, if they are proposing this near you don't as I did think it wont apply to A or B roads it did round here.

In our village we have managed to force a review and are awaiting new proposals but in a near by town they have been told by the councilor in charge of these things that they are stuck with it and they can vote him out if they don't like it, but of coarse he was voted in by a different district and so they don't actually vote for him.

This may sound silly or petty until it happens to you, and you may not agree with me, but if you do you may like to sign my E-Petition.
--------------------------------------------------
20 MPH Schemes

Responsible department: Department for Transport

Remove 20 MPH limits from all A and B roads and return those already in operation to previous speed limits.

I have no problem with 20 MPH limits on housing estates and side roads but after around a year of these limits on the main roads into and out of our village the standard of road use by all users from pedestrians to HGV drivers have got markedly worse, wile road rage, bullying tailgating, and general inconsiderate road use have massively increased, drivers are loosing concentration due to to low a speed so increasing the likelihood of accidents.

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/39938

If the mods think this is not suitable for this forum or would be better under another thread pleas feel free to move or remove, thanks Ralph.
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
Ralph

Re: 20 MPH Limits

Post by Ralph »

Here is the proposed map for Bristol only the duel carriageways may be exempt,
so your looking at about 10 miles of twenty then I would expect Avon mouth to
follow and so on.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format ... 2756090103
Ralph
1975 Strada 3 1/2
Knott End NW UK

Image Image
buell1203

Re: 20 MPH Limits

Post by buell1203 »

Good luck with the petition. You will have difficulty repealing the decision as they are not made at local level but approved by the DOT or equivalent.

Here in Wales it is virtually impossible to change decisions,it really needs to receive constructive objection at the consultation stage.

My advice would be to report every incident of careless/inconsiderate driving to your local police.if they receive enough complaints they will convene a site meeting with complainants and the local authority.

Again no promise of change but it may prevent further use of inappropriate speed limits.

Beware however as the police may choose to deal with complaints by means of speed reduction means..ie mobile cameras etc and guess who is likely to be caught first!!