Twitter - New fangled nonsense

Park up, come in and have an espresso. Chat about anything but please keep it clean and not too offensive.
72degrees

Re: Twitter - New fangled nonsense

Post by 72degrees »

For proper in depth text discussion with decent threading of subjects that maintains a long debate with sub topics within one original post you can't beat Usenet (NNTP). No in-line photos though and can be afflicted with trolls.

I see a hierarchy of ephemerality with Twitter at the most vacuous, FB next, web forums, NNTP and then good old fashioned email lists ;)

I suspect one reason for the popularity of FB is that there is a dedicated app for smart phones and tablets that handles images well. Reading a forum on a small screen device can be a pain unless a decent Mobile HTML5 version has been produced.

Twitter has its place perhaps for a particular event when rapid dissemination of messages is really required within a group on the move as it were.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

What did we do before everybody had to know everybody else's business? 'Just going for a crap. LOL!' - only 27 characters, maybe I can add 'to read latest ATG!' WTF, LMAO, IMHO, GUYS. Who want's to know anyway?

When I were a kid we went out at 9, came back for lunch then went out again and came back for tea and a wash. No trolls, no inane 'banter' no Piers Moron, Stephen Fry, no telephone apart from the red box on the corner. Great fun, and maybe some apples scrumped from the local orchard..

email good, forum good - I can read on my 'phone. FB good for keeping track of events, but read all posts? Can't be bothered. Twitter? Can't be bothered. All designed so you sit for hours looking at a screen then are bombarded by advertising then you go out to the shops and buy stuff you didn't know you needed.

Old Fart, who'd rather be riding than writing this crap.
Coxey

Post by Coxey »

what it boils down to is that twitter is like talking to yourself!
You tweet your message 'am having a crap' [as MM so eloquently put it] and then you hear nothing.

It is basically a fact sharing service. Its not a must have app... its just another way for instant information [that you have chosen the source of e.g. BBC breaking news] to be delivered to your smartphone.... err, you do have a smartphone dont you :lol:

You can still send private direct messages to other users - I do for family members and usually they do reply.
All in all it is just another way to find out stuff about stuff.

ps I'm not a geek, honestly! :oops:

Post by MickeyMoto »

I was rather hoping that this subject was finished :D
Coxey

Post by Coxey »

MickeyMoto wrote:I was rather hoping that this subject was finished :D
but you couldn't resist one last look could ya!!! :wink: