Modern bikes

Park up, come in and have an espresso. Chat about anything but please keep it clean and not too offensive.
3narf

Modern bikes

Post by 3narf »

What does everybody like? Does anybody make an enthusiasts bike nowadays?

I saw a Yamaha single the other day which looked nice, it was blue with the old tuning fork logo and it was a kind of roadster style...

The Aprillia V twin supermotos look like decent value at under six grand, about the same price as KTMs new pig-ugly 640 SM.

Consensus seems to be that 600s make the best all-rounders, but why are they so over styled, and 'aggressive' looking? I'd be embarassed to ride one.
Coxey

Re: Modern bikes

Post by Coxey »

3narf wrote:Consensus seems to be that 600s make the best all-rounders, but why are they so over styled, and 'aggressive' looking? I'd be embarassed to ride one.

I think they are aimed at the pokemon generation.

Give me good clean traditional lines any day :wink:

Post by 3narf »

I'm all for styling being 'progressive,' but why the obsession with giving headlights an angry stare? Isn't there enough stress on the roads already?

I admit I'm a bit of a 'styling snob.' I was just reading a test in BIKE which heaps praise on the Triumph Street Triple. Sounds like a superb bike, but I wouldn't ever buy one because it looks like a bowl of intestines.
2htleads

modern bikes

Post by 2htleads »

hi, try googling moto guzzi v7 classic, very nice retro styled bike aimed at the new bonnie a sportster market. Saw one in York last week, good reviews too, but general complaint is engine a bit underpowered, 110 mph is ok for me though.
everything works, eventually.
3narf

Post by 3narf »

Yeah, Guzzis are great, aren't they? I assume most of the tuning stuff fits everything as well...
morinipete

Post by morinipete »

Hi, funny that isn't it. The V7 Guzzi is the only bike I've seen in ages that actually takes my fancy too (though I've only seen pictires). I've got a '69 Triumph and can't believe the write ups I see about the "new Bonnie", 'cos to me it looks like a Superdream on steriods comapred to the real thing.

I've also got 7 Morinis (yes bit of a fanatic) and would loooooove to buy a new one, but the market's missing another 1000cc+ V-twin like it needs another strait four. It's not what Morini should be about.

As for "not enough power issue" my 500 probably kicks out 35BHP (max) and believe me that's plenty enough for the race track, proved by the fact that there have been so few 1200s at the track days so far. Enjoying a bike is not about how much power you've got, but how far you lean it over !

If Morini do a sub-750 twin or single though, I'll have one (as long as it's not styled like Darth Vada of course).
3narf

Post by 3narf »

morinipete wrote:Hi, funny that isn't it. The V7 Guzzi is the only bike I've seen in ages that actually takes my fancy too (though I've only seen pictires). I've got a '69 Triumph and can't believe the write ups I see about the "new Bonnie", 'cos to me it looks like a Superdream on steriods comapred to the real thing.

I've also got 7 Morinis (yes bit of a fanatic) and would loooooove to buy a new one, but the market's missing another 1000cc+ V-twin like it needs another strait four. It's not what Morini should be about.

As for "not enough power issue" my 500 probably kicks out 35BHP (max) and believe me that's plenty enough for the race track, proved by the fact that there have been so few 1200s at the track days so far. Enjoying a bike is not about how much power you've got, but how far you lean it over !

If Morini do a sub-750 twin or single though, I'll have one (as long as it's not styled like Darth Vada of course).
What d'you mean? I like the Aprilia Shiver! :wink:

[/quote]
Motofrog

Post by Motofrog »

I have a shiver. I find it lots of FUN good V twin. A modern all electronic V twin. Feels more like a trail/supermoto type ridding posittion. Goes really well. In my opinion much better than Ducati. Time will tell .
Emmohaswheelsagain

Reasons to own a Morini

Post by Emmohaswheelsagain »

Good to read the different comments about bikes in general and to acknowledge that we are all diffferent. Now on my 4th Morini, 350 strada & sport, early 500 and now a 91/2 I can appreciate that even within the club there are many different reasons for riding Morini. some like taking them to bits and adding their own individual touches. Others like to blast every where and race around at track days trying to touch the pegs down. Me I just like to ride them, be individual, meet people and go places. Yes the new ones go fast but you can still burble along in sixth gear doing 50 if you wish. As for track days well if you spent 8/9K then may be you would prefer not to bend it. Still enjoyed everybody else going round and meeting all those people you turned up to share all things Morini. As for a smaller Morini, well yes it would work, but not a single. I tested the new monster and the 696 is a modern version of the 31/2 sport, definatley a possible option for Morini to build a little V. By the way I also tested the Triumph Street Triple and to me it a good looking motorcycle, but there again it is a matter of choice and we ae all different.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

My boy tested a Shiver (which meant that I also got a go...) and was disappointed. A bit unengaging compared to the Corsaro, he said. Mind you, the dealer had pointed us at the local dual carriageway for the ride, whereas we went for the twisty roads (once a Morini rider, always a Morini rider :wink: ). In the end he bought a Street Triple - light, quick and British.

I've got the Corsaro, but if you're interested in the old bikes but want something modern in the way of Morini, try the Sport. It is surprisingly good, easy to ride and - just possibly - the best of this secret (in the UK) marque :?:

But don't expect simple - even Royal Enfield are having to do all sorts of stuff to comply with modern emissions, so those days are past. :cry: We'll have a little bit longer to wait and see if Morini bring out either a smaller V or a single, but the joy is in trying all the stuff on offer now and finding what best lights your fire compared to history...
CC
"I'll use the Morini"
chippit

modern bikes

Post by chippit »

Back to the first message, sounds like you are describing my Yamaha SRX 600 single. I fell in lust with this bike when I saw a brand new one in a show room in 1986. Not a huge amount of money now, the kick start only, puts a lot of people off, but I am not big (or heavy) and once you have the nack they are lots of fun.

I thought that that was the bike of my dreams........ until I saw an early morini 3 1/2, how had I gone all these years not having been introduced to a morini.

Form follows function
robinh44

Post by robinh44 »

Hi,

Just to add my tuppence, I recently test rode a Triumph Street Triple and I agree with the earlier poster about the market not needing another 1000cc V-twin or 4 cylinder. The triple interested me in the same way I liked the 350 v-twin morini ie the engine. Granted I also think the triple looks like a load of intestines and I don't like the look of the frog eyed headlights. But when it comes to function the frog eyed headlights do a better job of keeping you seen, and during the test ride well the engine, handling and even comfort all work very well. Could'nt praise the bike enough. Curiously though riding back on my morini I was expecting to not enjoy the ride back and I was completely suprised. Despite stepping off a neigh on 100bhp state of the art motorcycle, I still enjoyed the ride home on my home built 'clunker'. So the morini is safe from being sold, but maybe not my Yamaha TMAX. Not that the tmax its a bad bike but the triple could force it out the garage.

Regards

Robin
1984 Kanguro X1 home built special.
'Using yesterday's technology to create tomorrow's problem's today'