What happened to Belstaff ?

Park up, come in and have an espresso. Chat about anything but please keep it clean and not too offensive.
Coxey

What happened to Belstaff ?

Post by Coxey »

I thought that it'd be nice to treat my self to a new waxed cotton jacket. I used to have a Belstaff Trialmaster 30+ years ago - I thought nothing of it about 20 years ago when it went in the bin well used and knackered.
A new one now on their website is £600 :shock: :shock: :shock:
When did they get so precious.

Barbour International @ around £250 for me then I reckon 8)

Re: What happened to Belstaff ?

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hipster gear, man. Beard required. Along with a Bobber.... whatever that is. Fit a wooden seat and cut off the rear frame and you'll fit in perfectly....

Should've kept the old ones.... fetch serious money....
mikebbikes

Post by mikebbikes »

Its not the same company.
A trendy Italian company bought the name and started production again with trendy prices to match.
Steve Brown

Post by Steve Brown »

As said above, full on trendy folks now! The family that owns the brand now (a Greek family I think) are a fashion clothing operation, BUT! they keep threatening to start manufacturing motorcycles too. They bought the Matchless name a few years back and have been threatening sporadically since then. Nobody believes them though :roll: If you take a look at the 'Matchless of London' website you'll see more lovely clothing with the Matchless logo and all sorts of claims of heritage in the clothing business (for Matchless!) It's all complete rollocks of course but they seem to get away with it!
Oh and the nearest they came to bike manufacture so far was an artists impression of a bike due next year, or maybe the year after, or maybe never. It looked a lot like an American V-twin from S&S etc and amazingly was a 'custom' type :roll: that might have been another unique product of a chopper TV show. They expected it to cost about £45k even back then. All good stuff.
All donations to the rest home for old Camels, Leicestershire.
norbert

Post by norbert »

I still have my jacket and the cap as well :P Although today I enter with a T-shirt only :lol:

Nürburgring 1984
k-2012-12-26_38.JPG
k-2012-12-26_38.JPG (47.37 KiB) Viewed 20107 times
George 350

Post by George 350 »

Hi Norbert.

"I still have my jacket and the cap as well" - Is that you in the red jacket?
If so, and you still have that beard then it suggests that you could be a prime candidate for the hipster movement!
Where's that hacksaw, exhaust bandage and plank of wood?

George.
George
350 sport 1978, 350 Strada 1978
650 Norton 1967, 650 Kawasaki 1977 and 650 Enfield 2019
acemorini

Post by acemorini »

I think that I still have my red Belstaff jacket, I wonder if I can still get into it.
Regards Pete.
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Look up Merlin Bike Gear - a British company that we saw in Milan; looked like good stuff at reasonable prices.

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
norbert

Post by norbert »

George 350 wrote:Hi Norbert.

"I still have my jacket and the cap as well" - Is that you in the red jacket?
If so, and you still have that beard then it suggests that you could be a prime candidate for the hipster movement!
Where's that hacksaw, exhaust bandage and plank of wood?

George.

Hi George,

yes, that´s me. About one year later the beard came of and I stayed with a moustache for a while

on a trip to Sicilia
k-2012-12-26_11.JPG
k-2012-12-26_11.JPG (70.91 KiB) Viewed 20017 times
the last more than 30 years I try to keep my face clean. I only used the bellstaff as rain clouth, the trousers are still like new! In that time I put the jacket over my leather, now I enter only with a T-shirt :roll: :lol:

norbert
Ming

Post by Ming »

norbert wrote:... In that time I put the jacket over my leather, now I enter only with a T-shirt :roll: :lol:

norbert
I had a similar problem with my leathers - and I always thought they stretched instead of shrank!
mikebbikes

Post by mikebbikes »

There is a company in the Midlands that still has 70s stock of Belstaff gear in red. They put it on Ebay from time to time.
Captain B

Post by Captain B »

corsaro chris wrote:Look up Merlin Bike Gear - a British company that we saw in Milan; looked like good stuff at reasonable prices.

Good riding,

CC
Hello,

I bought one of the Merlin short jackets at the end of last year and am pleased with the quality and detailing. They use the same 8oz waxed cotton cloth made in Scotland that's supplied to Belstaff.
Website at http://www.merlinbikegear.com
Iain