Break in supply?

Park up, come in and have an espresso. Chat about anything but please keep it clean and not too offensive.
MickeyMoto

Break in supply?

Post by MickeyMoto »

As parts are moved from Leicestershire to the new owners, does anybody know when the new spares operation will be up and running? Sorting, documenting and adding to a computer system will take time. There is nothing on the new provider's website. I know there is always a Christmas closure, but in the New Year I will be needing some parts. Unfortunately, I do not know what they are at the moment! I can buy circlips, but if I need a rebore I'll need pistons and rings. If not then just rings as an example.
72degrees

Re: Break in supply?

Post by 72degrees »

MickeyMoto wrote:As parts are moved from Leicestershire to the new owners, does anybody know when the new spares operation will be up and running? Sorting, documenting and adding to a computer system will take time. There is nothing on the new provider's website. I know there is always a Christmas closure, but in the New Year I will be needing some parts. Unfortunately, I do not know what they are at the moment! I can buy circlips, but if I need a rebore I'll need pistons and rings. If not then just rings as an example.
A very good question. As you pointed out in another thread the 'parts list' published in March may not have been up to date even then, but having been in to the shop recently I know that Rob updates some kind of stock control system on a computer, so the basic list of what they have is already available by Morini part number.

If that data can be extracted in a suitable format it may be relatively straightforward to merge it in to the M'dina system. Creating the on-line shop entries for each part may take more time and will I guess only be available at first for NOS items and recent pattern parts.

Can you get just rings these days?

You could probably get complete pistons from Italy but here's an email I had recently from 'King of Pistons':

"in stock we have available:
pistons complete morini 350 tourism diameter 62.4 - 62.8 original sciam brand (€ 380 the pair)
For model morini 350 sport in stock only standard but we have in reconstruction PRINTED pistons x end of January 2019 diameter 62.5 and 63
(€ 420 the couple) "

I assume PRINTED means forged but still HFM?

The 350 pistons I had from NLM in 2016 were Vertex IIRC and Rob told me has limited supplies of those in some over-sizes.
mbmm350s

Post by mbmm350s »

Two weeks ago Rob only had 62.6mm Vertex sport pistons in oversize. fortunately this was what I needed.
I have one nearly perfect 3000 miles only asso werke at 62.4 if you can find one more...
NLM They also have 64? 375. or did a few weeks ago.
There are standard pistons and standard liners are available but they need to sell the liners + pistons for the same price as oversize or its too expensive.
At the prices quoted from King of pistons you might get Nikasil
Mark
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

It's getting to the point it could be worth having a short run of pistons made as harrymuffin did. Omega are the obvious people but a chap giving a talk at the local VMCC not long ago said he could make a piston for anything for £400 and cheaper for more than one. I wonder how many to get down to £100 each ?

I used 62.6 Sport pistons on the Forgotten Era rebuild as I knew they could always go to 64 if needed eventually but I wanted every cc I could get but not exceeding 350.

I could just swap those with my '375' ones but prefer to be able to just swap in a complete know working engine for the road bike next year without so much work.

I think the spare cylinders I now have are standard, so I ought to get them measured up accurately and who knows , someone may have a pair of NOS original Sport pistons on a shelf somewhere so a quick glaze bust would suffice (unlikely I know). D'oh - King of Pistons email I quoted say original SCIAM standard Sport - but at 380 euros I'm not so keen!
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Oohhhh, a piston hijack... :) I'll pull up a chair. Makes a change from an oil discussion...

When I took my Laverda in to SEP for a rebore, they made new liners. The ring grooves were in tolerance so I fitted new standard rings. Much cheaper.

I have two sets of barrels and pistons, but want to examine the bores. If ok, I'll want to fit just new rings. Are rings not available on their own?

Anyway, engine pushed to back of bench whilst the cycle parts are stripped, cleaned and sent off for a paint.

Mike.
72degrees

Post by 72degrees »

if it was a Franco Morini Motori 50cc you would be spoilt for choice ;)

KoP must source their piston rings from somewhere but when discussing their forged ones it was the rings that were causing the delay apparently.

Measure the rings up and do some googling.

Anyway not that much of a hijack - you specifically mentioned pistons in your first post !
harrymuffin

Post by harrymuffin »

Liners can be sort from Westwood liners, Droitwich and usually work out at around £35 each. The firm that fitted the replacement liners near to me charged me £75 cash. Omega pistons still have the original dies for making forged Morini pistons; they made the pistons for the Devimead 450 Morini that kept wrecking the 30mm big ends. They use thinner low radial pressure rings to reduce friction and do away with the expansion slot and hole on the back of the piston eliminating the achilles heal of cracks from the hole propagating to the skirt and breaking off on the standard cast type pistons. They would make a minimum run of pistons at whatever diameter required, so need not all be the same size. They bought up Acralyte pistons and the chap who does the front of house stuff who came with the name seemed a bit iffy regarding what I wanted for another engine, so if a run of pistons are being considered then negotiate. They currently work out at around the £100 mark for a run of 12 pistons(for me two sets of 6). Having seen the 500 pistons NLM were getting from Taiwan, they were infinitely superior to the Chinese crap.