lambda probe and cat

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
mihaio07

lambda probe and cat

Post by mihaio07 »

Hello everyone,

New member from Romania, looking to buy a Granpasso.
Somehow stumbled upon this forum last, after struggling with the Italian one and then the French one. :shock:

After reading pages upon pages of badly google translated topics, my main concern about the bike is injection / ECU related. I doubt I'll find anyone with the tools and knowhow required to remap a Moto Morini around these parts.

My understanding thus far is that:
1. early models have issues running at low rpm, including stalling. Apparently they're running very lean which might also explain why they're running very hot.
2. removing the lambda probe makes the bike run better, even without remapping
3. it's not recommended to remove the lambda probe without also removing the catalytic converter.

Do these points sound about right? How can I tell if the probe or the cat have been removed?
The italian seller I'm talking to says everything is stock, but I can see a couple of wire connectors dangling on the left side of the bike, below the saddle. As well as a worn metal gasket (?) where the can joins the rest of the exhaust. Both these issues lead me to believe the bike's been tampered with, which may or may not be a good thing.

So, can someone help with a couple of pics with 08 - 09 GPs, indicating exactly where the lambda probe and the catalyser are supposed to be?

Much appreciated,
Mihai
Delhispearman

Re: lambda probe and cat

Post by Delhispearman »

Hi Mihai,

I have a stock GP which does not have overheating or stalling issues. I may just be lucky, or because it has been serviced by reputable service agents, it may be that they have tweaked the ECU to avoid any of the symptoms you describe. I would not buy one that has obviously been messed with but wish you luck in your search.

Andrew
mihaio07

Post by mihaio07 »

People were complaining about overheating and stalling issues early on, on both the Italian and French forums. Even here, if i'm not mistaken, there have been several talks of remapping.

It is possible that the 2010 update kit and later Granpasso models address this issue.
In the meantime, I bought the bike. Now it's time to figure out how to remap it without any semblance of a Morini dealer in riding distance. :D
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Hi,

Morini will sell you an update for the GP. Also, try tuneecu.com

Not sure about cables as does not use OBDC as far as I can see.

Mike
mihaio07

Post by mihaio07 »

Am I better off using the updated Morini map in the blind?

I was thinking of getting the bike dyno'ed and mapped based on my particular circumstances and preferences. I don't need more power, nor do I care much about fuel economy. I'd like it to run smoother under 3k rpm and if possible, cooler.

The bike is very likely not 100% stock, so a drop in update from Morini might not work as intended.