High mileage

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Tinker

High mileage

Post by Tinker »

Hi folks what are everyone’s thoughts on very high mileage engines? There is a GP on eBay with 52k. How long before crank, gearbox,cam or rebore time? Thanks Glynn
MickeyMoto

Re: High mileage

Post by MickeyMoto »

Glynn, I can say that I looked at this bike a few years ago. I turned up and the guy was at work and his wife was annoyed as she did not know it was for sale. She said it was a very comfortable bike.

In my opinion, the bike was very well maintained. The oil is the same as I use. The barrels are Gilardoni (Nikasil) coated. The cam chains probably need changing, which is why they are with the bike.

If the bike has been serviced and used on long trips then the engine should give good mileage. Would I buy it? Not without seeing and listening to the bike and talking to the owner. But the mileage would not worry me if I was happy with the above.
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Thanks Mike
Painter

Post by Painter »

Hi
I agree these are really well engineered bikes, I doubt you would get issues with bore wear this side of 100k . It all depends on price, how many are out there etc
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Thanks painter
mort9555

Post by mort9555 »

Good day to all on this thread,
I've just had a good chat with Glynn, re; my GP for sale.

I omitted to mention in my chat with Glynn that I assessed timing chain set replacement time by what I found in the oil strainer at oil change intervals. At 42k miles there were very small particles in the strainer, thus the timing chain set items were ready and were changed at 44k miles. There had been chat about chains needing changing at 25k miles which I thought a little paranoid TBH. The spec of the timing chain in Morini literature was, I guess in the early days, the same as a Yamaha WR400 but these must have been the ones that let go in isolated incidents. The timing chains on my GP were a row wider than the WR400 type so would have been the Mark 3 version, as I understand it.
mikebbikes

Post by mikebbikes »

MickeyMoto wrote: 13 Sep 2022 20:37 Glynn, I can say that I looked at this bike a few years ago. I turned up and the guy was at work and his wife was annoyed as she did not know it was for sale. She said it was a very comfortable bike.

In my opinion, the bike was very well maintained. The oil is the same as I use. The barrels are Gilardoni (Nikasil) coated. The cam chains probably need changing, which is why they are with the bike.

If the bike has been serviced and used on long trips then the engine should give good mileage. Would I buy it? Not without seeing and listening to the bike and talking to the owner. But the mileage would not worry me if I was happy with the above.
For the record, I bought it.
MickeyMoto

Post by MickeyMoto »

Good man.

Be ready for a European tour next Summer. Italy, anybody?
Tinker

Post by Tinker »

Nice, I bid on it but was a bit worried by the standard of the brake and gear lever mod and the aerospace type engineering lol. Do you like it?
mikebbikes

Post by mikebbikes »

Tinker wrote: 29 Oct 2022 08:50 Nice, I bid on it but was a bit worried by the standard of the brake and gear lever mod and the aerospace type engineering lol. Do you like it?
What the Gear lever mod that was held in place with a masonry nail that I took out with my finger nails?........
mort9555

Post by mort9555 »

mikebbikes wrote: 29 Oct 2022 14:55
Tinker wrote: 29 Oct 2022 08:50 Nice, I bid on it but was a bit worried by the standard of the brake and gear lever mod and the aerospace type engineering lol. Do you like it?
What the Gear lever mod that was held in place with a masonry nail that I took out with my finger nails?........

That's the one Mike....the pin that had been in there 15k miles.............including 2x European trips............ a Castle Combe track day.....knockhill BSB round..... & never a problem (unless you really have to go looking for them of course)?!

After another dubious text from you last night Mike I wonder what the 'driver' is? I even called you but nobody would pick up'? Hmm, what's that all about? Come on chap, front up..........don't write drivel on here as it's just a slur on you!!! I'm always willing to discuss these things even though I don't have to as the bike was sold in good faith with no warranty given or implied. We are all Morini fans on here and that bike certainly tested me. You may have noticed, although it wouldn't register as being yet another 'problem', there are no chewed bolt heads or nuts or Torx fittings on it. It has been looked after as best as can be with no factory support and other much more critical things occurring in my family life that put it well down the Priority List!! That Corsaro you have...what did you say?... 08 reg with 16k miles on it? When it's done a fair few more thousand miles, you may start to understand what's involved with keeping these things on the road old pal, when they are being used proper. Any other 'issues' please call me, I'm a reasonable human being and we both love Morini.............don't pollute the water.