HID headlight conversion

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Gedge

HID headlight conversion

Post by Gedge »

I have just converted my dipped beam to an HID..I found a kit on ebay for the HB3 bulb.. ( it was car kit so I actually got 2 sets 8) )..I discovered that the pre wired auxiliary light plugs are the same fitting as the headlights,( the whole kit is plug and play) so I have wired the dipped HID to them which means I no longer have to suffer the lights on all day :) The ballast is about the size of a cigarette pack so I mounted it inside the plastic cover that bolts to the bottom fork yolk..that way it is in cool air but protected from moisture..
Haven't tried them in the dark but inmy garage it certainly looks bright enough..
Nice cheap conversion, that if it goes wrong will take 5 minutes to convert back..

:D
toggy

Post by toggy »

Sounds good Piccys sometime ? .Could you paste a link to the eBay page ?.
I had thought if it were possible to use both standard headlights as dipped, on the same dipped circuit and maybe buying the MM spotlights for use as full beam .If i had a penny for how many times people have said I've only got one headlight working .
Had you thought of wiring in the fullbeam aswell with the HID
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

toggy wrote:Sounds good Piccys sometime ? .Could you paste a link to the eBay page ?.
I had thought if it were possible to use both standard headlights as dipped, on the same dipped circuit and maybe buying the MM spotlights for use as full beam .If i had a penny for how many times people have said I've only got one headlight working .
Had you thought of wiring in the fullbeam aswell with the HID
I thought about it but I reckon finding a home for 2 ballasts would be difficult..and most advice I have read suggested that dip only was sufficient.
Of course I have a spare set of I change my mind..

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 0377301230
toggy

Post by toggy »

might be worth getting another couple of sets and using them to pep up the indicators lol. they sure need to be brighter .
Sander

Post by Sander »

If the indicator "relay" is the same as from the Corsaro it is responsible for the low brightnes.
The detection system for a broken lamp gives to much losses. A friend allready changed it, but you have to check your lamps yourself after that (or convert to LED's)
toggy

Post by toggy »

I'm just waiting until an aftermarket LED indicator comes on the market. They should have been LED from the factory though really,the standard ones are piss poor & dangerous .
Red S

Re: HID headlight conversion

Post by Red S »

Did the HID make much of a difference? I was thinking of boosting my full beam.
toggy

Post by toggy »

On the subject of headlight bulbs ,after messing about trying to get the wrong type of headlight bulb ,after consulting the manual ,which is wrong .I find i have 60W HB3 /PART NUMBER 9005 in my bike . £23 from MM or £5 and less off eBay
example
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SYLVANIA-HB3-9005 ... 2a057515e9
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

toggy wrote:On the subject of headlight bulbs ,after messing about trying to get the wrong type of headlight bulb ,after consulting the manual ,which is wrong .I find i have 60W HB3 /PART NUMBER 9005 in my bike . £23 from MM or £5 and less off eBay
example
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SYLVANIA-HB3-9005 ... 2a057515e9
For those still using normal bulbs, they are the same fitment as many Alfa Romeo/ Fiat cars as well as Ducati 999..£7.50 from my local Ducati dealer..

The HID is still burnign bright after several months..much clearer brighter light and no filament to vibrate to death 8)
padgman

Post by padgman »

A new owner catching up on best practice! Anyone tell me where these kits come from. cannot see a link in this thread?
twisty

Post by twisty »

padgman wrote:A new owner catching up on best practice! Anyone tell me where these kits come from. cannot see a link in this thread?
cheapest you will get is if you buy a kit on ebay . eg. "hid kit".

As the previous posts state, the best way is to buy the car kit as you will get two lights.
If you purchase you need to specify the colour temp (4000,5000,6000 etc different temps give bluish or white light clour intensity) you want as well as the bulb type. e.g h3 h7 etc
A complete kit will include two bulbs, two ballasts and two wiring looms complete with relays , so do check you are not buying just the bulbs and the ballasts, unless that's all you require.

if you don't mind waiting for delivery it is worth it (most are from china), but beware if you pay more than say £40 inc delivery as you may get hit by customs. Most of the sellers if you email first, will ship as a gift which will lower the value of the goods to avoid duty.

it's probably worth paying more for the "slim" ballast kit