Hand Guards

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
toggy

Hand Guards

Post by toggy »

Hi all
With the weather on a downwards spiral ,I've been thinking of getting some hand guards to stave off the winter chill. I like the style of the MM ones but bulk at spending £126. Has anyone had experience of aftermarket ones ? I know there are universal kits out there,but how well do they actually fit ? ,any recommendations? Plus i think they have got to be white.
Dougster

Post by Dougster »

The MM handguards are made by Acerbis, with the little bit of plastic added with the emblem on.
toggy

Post by toggy »

Just bought a pair of acerbis flag hand guards. They don't fit .The mounting brackets which have to be bought separately don't have enough clearance.even if they did i think the handguards would interfere with the screen.

http://www.acerbis.com/p106_handguard/5502.html
950 ADV

Post by 950 ADV »

Have a careful look at a KTM 950/990 ADV.

It uses very substantial Acerbis handguards on a tapered handlebar.

I was so impressed by the ones on mine that purchased a second pair for my GasGas Pamera: £45 inc vat for the pair in a kit with all the fittings!

(£125 ... what are they thinking of?)
toggy

Post by toggy »

950 ADV

Post by 950 ADV »

Hello,

Sorry, got that slightly wrong;the ones I'm thinking of aren't necessarily made by Acerbis, although they look like they are (if that makes sense).

They are standard on the 9x0 Adv, and also available as a genuine KTM accessory. The only KTM logo is very small on the inside. I don't know if they will fit (I've never seen a GP in the flesh) but they are robust effective high quality items at a fair price.
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

I have just installed on mine the handguards from the KTM 990 SMT. they are bigger than the adventure ones and offer really good weather protection..Bit of a faff to fit as the wedges were too small and I had to use the GPs Bar end wedge.. also they were a bit bigger for the bars ( Fat bars instead of tapered on the SMT?) but a bit of old innertube soon packed it out..
total cost was only £44 so quite a saving over the Morini ones..

toggy

Re: Hand Guards

Post by toggy »

Just got round to posting a few piccys of my handguards.

http://s569.photobucket.com/albums/ss13 ... 1608933608
Red S

Re: Hand Guards

Post by Red S »

I've also fitted the KTM SMT handguards (tried the adventure ones by mistake first - too small), at £44 rather than £120+ for the Moto Morini ones. Pretty straightforward to fit. I've kept the bar end weights on, and used the retaining bolt already in place. I had to cut down the white plastic inserts in the handlebars as the retaining bolts aren't quite long enough to cope with the handguards. This does not seem to have made any difference to the sturdiness of the bar ends. Now off to France to test them out.... :lol: