Fuel Reserve again

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
toggy

Fuel Reserve again

Post by toggy »

Not a happy bunny this morning as i ran out of fuel for the third time .The bike died, And only then helpfully told me i was low on fuel.
I was told the instrument dash had been replaced , to sort the fuel reserve issue when i had bought the bike .
Surely there must be something else at fault here ,There must be some kind of sensor in the tank?.anyone got any ideas?.
3x will be getting a call this week.

PS. Still waiting for the starter switch which was ordered in mid August.
Red S

Re: Fuel Reserve again

Post by Red S »

I know it's no help, but mine was initially coming on after 10 litres were used, but would go out again once the bike was turned off. It would then run for a few more litres before coming on again. I tried this a few times. It eventually stayed on, and I ran out of fuel :oops:
My GP has just come back from 3x after a new software download, but I haven't ridden it enough to tell if this has been fixed. It has cured the stalling though.

It looks like the tank bag is about big enough to take a small jerry can :?
toggy

Post by toggy »

Had the bike checked out at 3x, needs a new sensor in the tank which is part of the fuel pump.As the fuel light came on after i had ran out of fuel. They hope to get the part before xmas .although the switch gear took 3mths to arrive . :(
Last edited by toggy on 08 May 2010 10:49, edited 1 time in total.
toggy

Post by toggy »

Hi all
Had the fuel pump replaced (mid March 2010) as this is part of the reserve float thingy.Was happy to start with as was now getting 1.2/1.5 litre on reserve,but now find out this is not so good . The Manuel states fuel reserve is 4 divided by 6 which works out at 0.66 or if you work the other way ,as i did. 6-4 = 1.5 . D'oh! I now have it from the horses mouth the GP reserve should be 4 to 6 litres . So I'm running very close to empty with 1.2/1.5 liters.arse
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

My reserve light seems to come on at about 18 / 19 litres of fuel used over 160 to 180 miles dependent on riding conditions. Filling up yesterday on my (new) centre stand I got 21 litres in after running on reserve for 20 miles. If we presume a 25 litre tank - do you really believe a capacity of 27? - at 40 mpg that will give a range in excess of 200 miles. I've only been brave enough to run for 180 miles to date; the GP is a heavy bike to push...

How much have you guys got in the tank when you've run out? And no, I'm not suggesting that you do it again just for experimentation!

We must get a meet together for GP users in the south - perhaps meet up at 3X on a Poole Bike Night (Tuesday) and run down to the Quay together for a hours social? Lets' nominate a date, but not mid May because we're off to the Netherlands for the clubs' 25th then!

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
nahnah27

Post by nahnah27 »

Hi,

My fuel light comes on after about 17-20 litres used although I don't really pay much attention to it as I use my Garmin Zumo for fuel management - I have programmed this for a range of 190 miles. I haven't relied on bike guages since I ran out of fuel with a BMW 1150 GS.

On the "Product Upgrade", since my bike is a late 2009 model it only needs a cable to be re-routed and apparently already has the latest software and heat shields.

It would be great to meet up at 3X/Poole on a Tuesday night, but I am not likely to be back in Sherborne again until mid June.
:D
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

2010 model;

Latest heat shield is in two parts - exhaust shield plus one for the battery holder. The ECU sensor on the cat is moved to the front exhaust, there are different foot rest rubbers, and the handlebar is now adjustable. The indicator lense is now yellow rather than clear and also silicon treated to slow down water penetration.

Poole Bike Night in late June sounds a good plan - what date?

Good riding,

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
toggy

Post by toggy »

Had the bike looked at again last week ,told it was sorted and now fine . This week the reserve light came on ,did less than 1mile to petrol station , filled up with 26.10 litres ,i'll let you do the math.Losing the will to live
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

For all those interested in a GP get together;

Ive agreed with 3X (Richard Davies) that if we meet up at the shop on Tuesday 29th June from 4:30 onwards we can have a coffee / tea and biscuits before riding down to Poole Quay at 6:00. He's arranging for some of the staff to join us on Morinis, so there will be a worthwhile number going to the event. If you need directions, other info or just want to confirm coming along post on the events forum (where this will also be posted) or PM me.

Poole Bike Nights (every Tuesday during BST) are worth going to, especially in fine weather, with up to 1,000 bikes on some nights.

There are already several expressions of interest - let's see how many GPs we can get together in one place! :)

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
toggy

Post by toggy »

Yah! ,be there or be square. Would be good if we could organise so space down the quay , as on a sunny evening it gets very busy.Busiest time at quay is 6-8pm .A row of GPs would be cool.
toggy

Post by toggy »

Oh by the way ,The reserve issue mostly sorted now ,A new speedo unit was put on to sort it (apparently there are 3 speedo types at the moment A,B,C )C being the latest.I now get the reserve light on at around 130mls /18litres with 9 litres in reserve ,which is now a bit on the conservative side .(4/6 litres stated in the Manuel )But still better than having just the 1 litre reserve i was getting .I'll settle for that.
idleidolidyll

Post by idleidolidyll »

toggy wrote:Hi all
Had the fuel pump replaced (mid March 2010) as this is part of the reserve float thingy.Was happy to start with as was now getting 1.2/1.5 litre on reserve,but now find out this is not so good . The Manuel states fuel reserve is 4 divided by 6 which works out at 0.66 or if you work the other way ,as i did. 6-4 = 1.5 . D'oh! I now have it from the horses mouth the GP reserve should be 4 to 6 litres . So I'm running very close to empty with 1.2/1.5 liters.arse
I think that is supposed to read 4-6 liters and is just a bad translation.

Mine goes to reserve at about 10 liters and at that will still do almost 140 km if I'm not thrashing it (close to 90 miles)
idleidolidyll

Post by idleidolidyll »

rode home yesterday from Wanganui: passenger plus Givi top box plus tank bag meant I was well loaded.

I managed 268 kilometres to reserve and am still running a tight motor at just over 2000km old.

On the way down the bike gave 16km per litre or about 45mpg with the above passenger and luggage PLUS all the Christmas presents we had to take away for our grandkids.

I reckon once the engine is loose; i'll see 18-20km/litre going easy and perhaps as low as 10km/litre going hard.
With the 27 litre tank; that's an excellent range