ICY ROAD WOOPS A DAISY

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
toggy

ICY ROAD WOOPS A DAISY

Post by toggy »

HI ALL
Dam ice caught me out 25 yards from my house .all very painless for me but not for the bike . I though having off road ability meant a certain amount of bike toughness.Assessing the damage . left foot peg ripped out of its mounting ,BOTH mirrors broken ,bent hand guard bracket,which I'm sure saved the clutch lever,and a sheared off bolt on the foot gear selector , Leaving me stuck in 1st gear all at less than 5mph.Luckily no paint damage at all.Probably due to me cushioning the bikes fall.I've now sorted it out apart from the mirrors which I've duck taped on until i can get new ones ,£25 each from 3x .They have lots of left hand ones in stock but no right hand ones,so being Xmas i don't think I'll be seeing one till early Feb .One thing i came across which i don't understand ,is the foot peg securing bolt , which was only secured by 8mm of thread in its mounting . The depth of the threaded hole is 16mm . So handy in one way as i used a longer bolt to fix it back together,but had it been longer it may not have come off at all.Or you could say i was lucky it didn't shear off flush ,had it been longer :cry: .Well merry Christmas to you all and a Happy new year and don't ride on icy roads.
Red S

Re: ICY ROAD WOOPS A DAISY

Post by Red S »

Bummer. Nice to see the wing mirrors aren't too expensive though (unlike the handguards).
toggy

Post by toggy »

Red S wrote:Bummer. Nice to see the wing mirrors aren't too expensive though (unlike the handguards).

Luckily ,they weren't the MM hand guards but a second hand pair of universal ones i adapted from eBay.Cheap fix hammer and vice.
toggy

Post by toggy »

Just a quick update. Just got hold of my mirrors (26th Feb)ordered late DEC.why so slowww!
also just inquired about some new foot peg rubbers ,as mine are getting a bit worn .Turns out they can only be ordered as a complete item IE foot peg +rubber insert £30 doh ,although offered a good discount on that ,its a pain i can't get the rubbers separately . Any ideas of what i could use instead?