Side Stand issues

Anything to do with the 1200 GranPasso series
Gedge

Side Stand issues

Post by Gedge »

Noticed recently that my GP was listing like a sinking battleship..Discovered on checking that the big spring on the stand was snapped and that there was loads of play on the bush and bolt whoch allows the stand to splay out...

However I still dont think this is the total problem and I am now wondering whether the sidestand has bent??

Could anyone post up a Very close picture of their sidestand for me ( from the front preferrably)...perhaps someone could also measure the gap between the extended sidestand and the ground when the the bike is at 90 degrees upright, as mine seem to almost lay down before the pad touches the ground...
any help appreciated..

( have ordered a new spring and bush and 3x say that the mounting plate and bush have been superceded so maybe the wear is a known issue?? Not sure if they will accept this as a warranty issue)

Off to france Thursday so need to know before attempting to load the bike with any luggage :shock:
lstrbrr

Re: Side Stand issues

Post by lstrbrr »

Hi there

A couple of pics I hope will help. A bit grubby but that's the chain oiler for you.......The gap between plate and ground when the bike is upright is about 3 cms.

The centre stand is great. It only took 3X 9 months to fit mine so I don't think it's an immediate solution!.

Regards

Alastair
DSCN3272.JPG
DSCN3272.JPG (34.66 KiB) Viewed 13532 times
DSCN3271.JPG
DSCN3271.JPG (57.32 KiB) Viewed 13532 times
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Hi Gedge;

There shouldn't be much in the way of side play, and so wear in the bush is probably the cause. The alternative might be a crack at the welded joint which takes the side stand tube into the pivot for the stand and causes it to bend; I experienced this with the Dart after some twelve years of ownership. It's worth checking for that - a simple welding job would cure it.

The centre stand is good, although it pivots on the engine cases (no frame here) and I wouldn't want to use it every day; it is an additional tool for chain lube and rear / front wheel removal. The original manufacturer went bust and so Morini and Ducati had to source an alternative supplier (the Bolognese firm that supplied them made stands for both companies; as far as I am aware they are NOT interchangeable).

Have a good trip to France - we're off to the Netherlands next month!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Thanks for the pics..my side stand looks no more bent than in the photo so I presume its just wear in the bush and bracket and the broken spring as no way is there only 3cm from my plate to the ground :shock: I have checked and there is no sign of any cracks or welding failure so unless the bike has been taking growth hormone I can only think its wear and tear :lol:

Looks like I shall have to take it easy until the replacement parts get here :(
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Quick update..turned out that teh broken spring and worn bush had made the stand bend..when compared to a new bike the bend was obvious..3x changed the stand and replaced the spring under warranty..I shall be careful where I park it especially when its loaded..
They also fixed a small water leak from the pipe that goes into the rear head..

all done under warranty, and while I got to do 100 miles on their morini Scrambler :D
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Maybe my bike is made out of lead...once again the side stand was bent so badly that it was almost impossible to get the bike upright..This time I took the sidestand to a mates body shop and used a fly press to straighten it out..we then welded a bar along the section that is prone to bending..should be able to withstand the tie down ratchet straps on the ferry and the weight of the luggage..... surprised that I am the only one and its now happened twice???
corsaro chris

Post by corsaro chris »

Interesting.

Mines currently in for its' 20,000 k service so I can't check it right now... But I've had it fully loaded several times (including Diane on pillion) and haven't noticed a problem. Diane gets on by using the left rear peg as a step with the stand down, so puts a fair amount of pressure on the stand.

Where is the bend, as the stand has a curve in it that does increase leaverage effect but puts the foot further away from the line of the wheelbase - presumably for stability!

CC
"I'll use the Morini"
butchamphib

Post by butchamphib »

I believe there is three versions of stand mine collapsed one day the weld at the top cracked and opened up. when 3x had some interest in morini they located a new one of version 2 in germany for me this has an extra strip welded up the back but that wouldnt stopped my weld from braking. ive read on an italian forum there is a mark 3 side stand that is ok.
I`m a bit worried i go to france in june on portmouth ferry and wondered about using centre stand but that doesn`t look too strong?
Chris who is servicing your bike?
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

The stand bends where the spring mounting pin is welded..both times the same place..pretty sure the first time was caused by the ferry staff keep ratcheting down the straps...but second time round I was carefully not to let them, and never get on by putting any load on the stand..Of course once it starts to bend, more and more load is sent through the sidestand, means the problem accelerates so if you notice any bending I would recommend getting it sorted assap...
I nearly refitted mine today but found the mod fouled the gearleaver slightly so I have had to cut a small piece out if the reinforcing bar and repaint it..I will try and post a picture up of the finished article as it looks pretty original..
Gedge

Post by Gedge »

Just got back from a 1200 mile trip to France , Belgium and Luxembourg fully loaded..the strengthened sidestand withstood the additional load and being strapped down on the ferry..sadly the same can t be said of the sidestand spring which broke for the 2nd time :( not sure why it has happened but will now source a decent replacement