Red S

Re: Front Tyre

Post by Red S »

What did you get instead?
toggy

Post by toggy »

Hi All
I got a 09 Honda cbr1000rr fireblade only for about 4 weeks though ,crippling seat position and round town riding didn't mix.great on a run but really missed the torque of the the GP ,which you don't appreciate until you ride something else. So chopped it in for a 010 Yamaha XJR 1300 . Lovely smooth torquey beast . I still miss the GP though, gota be the best bike i ever riddin . Maybe if MM make that Ferro i might be very interested.:)
padgman

Post by padgman »

I had same problem but it went away after I put puncture seal in tyres - needed topping up once in 5000 miles during Europe trip last summer. When I changed tyre I could see the blue sealant stuck around each spoke-end so job done!
Red S

Post by Red S »

Oh well. I've now got an inner tube as a fix. I thought about sealant, but thought it would be forced away from the spokes by centrifugal force.
lstrbrr

Post by lstrbrr »

I too was getting increasingly frustrated by having to check and inflate the rear tyre every few days so I thought I'd go down the inner tube route as well. My bike is the H83 with the 180/55 17 rear tyre and you can get the correct sized tube but my tyre fitter told me it was illegal to fit a tube to wheel not designed to take one.

We looked for the source of the problem and, with the help of soapy water, you could see that air was bleeding slightly out of the rim at 2 or 3 spoke points. I suppose one option would be to go round tightening all the nuts inside the rim but that risks getting the wheel out of true, so we went for a blob of sealant on each nut with a rim tape then stuck down on top. Hopefully that will cure the problem............ The front is OK so it's probably a quality control issue with the wheel makers.

Alastair
Chips1953

Post by Chips1953 »

I was reading your accounts of the problems with the GP tyre deflation, as I was interested I tried to look up to see what was the truth about the legislation on tyres and tubes.I cannot find an answer that appears to be "Legal".
If anyone has an idea over the legal thruth I would be obliged to know.
All I could find was do's and don'ts and this bit from Continental Tyres about what they suggest. It is located at the bottom of the page at this location.

http://www.conti-bike.co.uk/default.asp?pid=26

I think they may be saying you have to reduce you top speed if an inner tube is fitted.
I wonder if the Scrambler has the same problem?

This is the item pasted>>>>>>>

Tubeless and tubetype tyres

It is generally true that the fitting of tyres to a motorcycle should be in accordance with the stated manufacturers specification for the specific model, otherwise the warranty may be rendered invalid. For example, if tubeless tyres are prescribed then tubeless tyres must be fitted. The same is true for tubetype tyres.

If no appropriate indication has been given in the vehicle specification, then in the following circumstances either tubeless or tubetype tyres can be fitted.
For Continental motorcycle tyres

All TL/TT-sidewalled tyres can be used with a tube without decreasing the speed range (except Z rated radials).
ALL Continental tyres labelled TL can be fitted to rims/wheels marked Tubeless. They can also be fitted on Tubed Type rims/wheels with a correctly sized Continental inner tube.
If Sport Attack, Road Attack and ContiForce tyres (Z rated radials) are fitted on Tubed Type rims/wheels with Continental inner tubes, the maximum speed is then restricted to 130 mph (210 km/h, from Z to H speed rating).
Continental tyres labelled TT can only be fitted on Tubed Type rims/wheels and must be fitted with a correctly sized Continental inner tube.
Please note that the maximum speed for tubeless tyres fitted with an inner-tube is 210 km/h (approx. 130 mph).
Singer 185K
Wheel Horse commando 7
Honda SS90 1965
RHThomas

Post by RHThomas »

My Scrambler suffered this problem on the rear wheel, took it to 3X and they fitted an inner tube.

I have stuck with the std tyre on the Scrambler which is Michelin Anakee 2 and being aimed at the so called
'adventure bikes' which mostly have spoked wheels it is recommended for both tubed & tubeless fitment.

It is a shame though as it would rule out fixing a puncture with a tubeless kit.

I find my speed is limited anyway by not having a faring with an upright riding position....

Cheers,
Robin